Christina's Reviews > The Overton Window

Feb 26, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: booksquirm-book-club, adult-fiction
Read in February, 2011

Another Booksquirm Book Club pick. Thankfully, this book did not make it past month 2! Our 2 month assignment for this book had us suffer through the Prologue through Chapter 4. Here are the thoughts I posted for the book club.

Prologue - Chapter 2 observations:
How exactly did Mr. Beck think that I would take him seriously when he writes on page 8 "Top psychologists tell us in Maxim magazine..." Really??? You expect me to believe that people who are at the top of the psychological field would really honestly take the time write for Maxim? I know that men only get that magazine to read the articles, but I wouldn't think the foremost experts in psychology would publish there! All in all, it's not the worst book I've read... (Then again, we were reading Rogue by Danielle Steel that month as well)

Chapters 3 - 4 observations:
First, I would like to thank my fellow booksquirm members for feeling the same way as I feel about this book. It looks like it will thankfully be voted off the island. I felt like my soul was dirty after reading the assigned chapters this month, and I wanted to quickly sneak the book back into the return slot at the library before anyone noticed I had it checked out! lol. The one thing that stuck in my mind from reading this was the list of "red flagged" individuals (not comprehensive, as it was noted). After reading the list - 3 times to be certain - I was left wondering if there was anyone left (other than, of course, the author) that didn't fit into at least ONE of the "to be watched" groups. I think I fit in more than one category! I can honestly say that I don't even know what the book was supposed to be about... I missed character/plot development entirely - being too distracted with idiocracy of it all! I would like to thank wikipedia for giving me some insight into what Mr. Beck was go adept at making me miss! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_...

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overton Window.

message 1: by Zeke (new)

Zeke love the idea of a booksquirm bookclub! Glenn Beck, ugh. I don't know how you got past the prologue! Will be interested to see how Steig Larsson and Malinda Lo fare, I know quite a few people who really love those books! I confess to being someone who has a weakness for the Dragon Tattoo books. :)

Christina Well, Zeke - if we do a second round of Booksquirm, I'll let you know. It's open for anyone to join and done completely online. And I will continue to post my comments on the books as we progress!

Zeke wrote: "love the idea of a booksquirm bookclub! Glenn Beck, ugh. I don't know how you got past the prologue! Will be interested to see how Steig Larsson and Malinda Lo fare, I know quite a few people who r..."

Brady "Really??? You expect me to believe that people who are at the top of the psychological field would really honestly take the time write for Maxim?" Your sense of sarcasm is severely lacking, isn't it?