Allyson's Reviews > Horse Heaven

Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley

Mar 01, 11

Read from February 26 to March 01, 2011

I really loved this book.
I started it on a vacation and despite a return to my work routine: picking it up, putting it down, I felt completely enmeshed in her character's lives. She kept all of her numerous threads going, twisting here and there and despite that, I had no difficulty remembering about people and horses, their nuances and quirky natures. She really created all of her characters magically and I loved how the horses were as alive as the people, maybe even more so.
She remarks in the beginning that it is a "comic epic poem in prose" which I wondered about but it was an amazing writer's feat.
I really don't even know what to say other than I have not enjoyed reading a book so much recently. Yes, there have been other very good books, but leavened with sadness. This is uplifting in a way that bad things do happen, but she has no violence to her beloved characters, just because she can. And it is a fictionalized world, yet she is painting a picture and not proving something. I suppose that does not explain, but it was not as if she wanted a redemptive read, but rather to populate a world with characters- equinine, canine, human and she really did it just so well.
I am passing this on to as many friends as i can as it is such a delight to read.
I feel I have not really explained my reaction to it well, but see for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horse Heaven.