Auntee's Reviews > Again the Magic

Jul 31, 2010

bookshelves: historical-romance, lisa-kleypas, 2010_reads, made_me_cry
Recommended for: Fans of Kleypas's Wallflowers
Read on July 31, 2010

Boy did I love this one, but the TSTL heroine almost ruined it for me! Oh Aline, what you put poor McKenna through...

My thoughts...

I should have known what I was in for, after blubbering and sniffing my way through the first 3 chapters--this was one angsty read! I totally fell for (John) McKenna, who went from bastard stableboy in love with a beautiful, unattainable daughter of a duke, to millionaire American in 12 short years. When 19 year old Lady Aline Marsden sent young McKenna away (and how she did it) after her father threatened to ruin him after their affair was found out, my heart broke for both of them. And when McKenna came back after 12 years, so cold and with a plan for revenge against his first love, I was disappointed in him (even though I could hardly blame him). But what Aline put him through? I wanted to shake that woman and tell her "tell him already, tell him why you sent him away and for God's sake, tell him what you're hiding from him!" I wanted her to be honest and put it out there already, and to believe in his love for her. But when she finally got McKenna to get over his revenge plan and declare his true feelings again, I thought this is it, this is what she was waiting for, to see if he still cared. And then she did the most asinine thing! Ugh! I said "No...you didn't just do that to him...again?"

Well, luckily for Aline she has a smart brother, who knocked some sense in her before it was too late. Thank you, Marcus, some very nice words of wisdom you imparted to Aline. And once the truth was revealed to McKenna about why Aline thought she couldn't be with him...I was sooo glad when McKenna let her have it! (in more ways than one...)

I adored the character of McKenna, and I loved the story of his childhood friendship with Aline and how it grew to a passionate, you're-my-other-half love story. And I hurt for them both when they were forced to separate. But jeez, I wanted to throttle Aline for not being honest and not really giving McKenna enough credit and trusting in his love.

I loved that this book was also a two-fer. I thought the other love story between Aline's younger (and wiser) sister Livia and uppercrust New Yorker Gideon Shaw was almost as exciting as the McKenna/Aline storyline. I liked the fact that LK gave the alcoholic Gideon a huge problem to overcome, but I was unclear about what drove him to drink so much. Was it his family's expectations of him? Or was it the fiancee who dumped him for a better offer? I guess I was waiting to hear a more tragic story about why he had to be drinking around-the-clock. I did like how Livia handled his problem (I swear she had way more sense than her sister Aline)!

There were so many moments in this book that had me tearing up. Some of my favorites were the poem that McKenna wrote for Aline, along with the 15 dozen roses and the case of gingerbread he sent to her; also, when Gideon was pleading for Livia to "just blink" if she loved him; and McKenna's declaration of love to Aline when he finally sees what she's been keeping from him (*sniff*).

This book is a 'prequel' of sorts to the Wallflowers series, so if you're planning on reading that series, you'll want to start with this one first. I just wish I had done that.:(

I love a book that gets me so involved with the story and characters that it can make me cry. Lisa Kleypas is a masterful, gifted storyteller--there was not a moment that I wanted to put this one down. No slow parts, and as usual, plenty of tidbits and anecdotes about 1830s England and America to make you feel like you're learning something too while you're enjoying your romance. If it weren't for that one frustrating moment with Aline, this would be a 5 star read. But for that alone, I've got to knock it down slightly to a 4 1/2.

My 'McKenna'...

Photobucket
46 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Again the Magic.

Quotes Auntee Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I want morning and noon and nightfall with you. I want your tears, your smiles, your kisses...the smell of your hair, the taste of your skin, the touch of your breath on my face. I want to see you in the final hour of my life...to lie in your arms as I take my last breath.”
Lisa Kleypas, Again the Magic

07/31 page 58
14.0% "Had to put it down for now--crying too hard.:(" 3 comments
07/31 page 142
36.0% "C'mon McKenna, don't be so cold..." 1 comment
07/31 page 285
71.0% "C'mon McKenna, get over it already!"
07/31 page 344
86.0% "Aline you twit!" 8 comments
07/31 page 391
100.0% "Despite the TSTL heroine, an excellent read."
06/17 marked as: read

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This book is so poignant, I haven't tried to reread it.

Auntee I don't think I ever did read it (it just languished in the early days of the TBR pile!), because none of it seems familiar to me. And I definitely would have remembered those opening heartbreaking chapters!

Dina LOL, Auntee! Your faulty memory never ceases to amaze me. You've rated this book, so you must have read it. Yes? No? :P

Robin *loves sexy books* I really need to read some of these Kleypas books. I know you guys all love them. I'm making myself read all that I have before I buy anymore though.

Is there sex in these?? Are they erotica? Because if not, then I'm not buying!! Lmao!!

Auntee Honestly Dina, bad memory or not, I think I would've remebered at least a bit of this one! I definitely didn't read it before. Somehow I must have overlooked it. Also, there were no signs of it having been read before--no spine creases or anything like that. And I always remeber books that make me cry!:P

Auntee Robin, you've got to try one! Yes, there's sex in them, but they're not erotica. But they're so well written, you'll think they're erotic!:D

Robin *loves sexy books* I'm sold!! Lol. I've wanted to read the Hathaways series after I read Shawnas reviews. But I keep seeing other Kleypas books pop up too. They are definitley on my next amazon order!

Auntee Robin, read 'The Wallflowers' before 'The Hathaways'--the Wallflowers come first chronologically, and there's some overlapping characters.

Robin *loves sexy books* Oh ok. Thanks!!

message 10: by Caty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caty whoa!
That's one hot Mackena, girl!
I loved your review, and the book, oh, and did I mentioned Mackena??

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Great review, Auntee. I love how you've started to incorpore "visual aid" to your reviews, it makes them so much clear to understand, LOL.

Auntee Thanks ladies!:)
It's hard to find a model with a furry chest (all Kleypas heroes seem to be that way)!

message 13: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Oh yes, she isn't a fan of wax-chested men. I have to say that I love them in pics, but I like some nice fur to stroke in real life. Not much, just the right amount to tickle... ;)

Beanbag Love Great review, Auntee! Nice visual aid, too. *fans self*

Auntee LOL, Dina!

Thanks Beanbag--visual aids always "help"!

Okay, Zosia! This is a good one to try to see if you'll like the series. Just brace yourself for this heroine...:)

Shawna Nice review, Auntee! And ditto Bean's appreciation for the visual aid! *faints*

message 17: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie Love your review,Auntee! Your McKenna is smokin! I've only read 1 Kleypas novel and I can't wait to get my hands on more. I love books that make me cry,so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Auntee Thanks Nissie! Kleypas books are a sure bet for me, even though I'm not a huge historicals fan.
And if you're a crier--you'll love this one!:)

Ronyell Awesome review Auntee!!! I agree with you that Aline should have told McKenna the truth!!!

Auntee Thanks Ronyell--Aline gave me fits!:)

Ronyell Me too!!

Tammy Fantastic review Auntee! Makes me want to dig this one out and re-read it. And your choice for McKenna ain't so bad either. :)~

Piratequeen good visual of the hero :)

message 24: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Apart from your review, THAT photo just made up my mind - am reading this tonight!

Auntee Happy reading Dwayne! And McKenna is all that!:)

Angie Enjoyed your review, and LOVE your profile picture!

Auntee Thanks Angie.:)

Ragus Fantastic review, Auntee, as always!!! I couldn't help it ... I just couldn't ... I reread Again The Magic a couple of weeks ago! Loved it more than the 1st time around! Aline was such a hardhead! But with McKenna as the prize, reading her angst and irritating nonsense was worth it! Loved Livia and Gideon and also felt we would get more details for his drinking. Thanks for McKenna's pic ... it fit my visual of how luscious he looks!! :o))

Auntee Thanks Ragus! I can't blame you for reading it again-McKenna...*sigh*

message 30: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya That is a great review!! i could not have expressed my feelings for this book any better. It was killing me that Aline wouldn't tell McKenna sooner. i almost thought that there must have been some other reason she was hesitant besides being self-conscious about her legs. Other than that, it was a great book!

Auntee Thanks Maya.:)
I wanted to shake Aline a time or two in this book!