Ian Vinogradus's Reviews > Five for Five: The Films of Spike Lee

Five for Five by Spike Lee

Feb 25, 2011

bookshelves: fill-um

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five for Five.

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg The only Spike Lee film I've seen is Miracle at St. Anna, which was not a winner, I was disappointed on several premises. I know Spike Lee is an eminent filmmaker. Ian, could you expand briefly on your five stars?

message 2: by Ian (last edited Apr 11, 2015 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Vinogradus I was an enormous fan of the first five films. He was a crucial part of the indie move away from Hollywood Studios. These films were also so dynamic, colourful and insightful into family, community and relationships, especially at a time when Woody Allen had gone missing in action and formulaic blockbusters were starting to dominate. Spike's father did great music as well. I still have a drawer full of their t-shirts. Baby baby baby!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Do The Right Thing is a must see. The rest are a hotch potch.

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Vinogradus Don't you like Mo Better Blues?

message 5: by Paul (last edited Apr 12, 2015 01:07AM) (new)

Paul Bryant It was bizarrely amusing when Mo Better Blues came out only a year or so later than Clint Eastwood's Bird and the two got compared a lot, much to Spike's disadvantage. Turned out that right wing white guy Eastwood was better at portraying jazz on screen than hipster Lee. His movies can be impressive like Clockers and Malcolm X but they usually come bundled up with some painful flaws. Do the Right Thing is a masterpiece though.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg Thanks Ian. I ardently agree about Woody Allen. I hadn't watched any of his films for ages, then tried again with the 2005 Match Point. Never again. I must check out Do the Right Thing.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg I read an interview with Spike Lee about the making of Miracle at St. Anna. He said he can't watch any Tarantino movies because of the 'N' word.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I wonder whether he would have the same qualms with movies made by black Americans like Menace II Society or Boyz n the Hood.