Caitlin's Reviews > This is Where I Leave You

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: fiction, contemporary, humor
Read from March 12 to 28, 2011

I've had my eye on this book for a while. To be honest, it was the brightly colored and well crafted faux hand typography on the cover that first attracted me to the book. I am hell bent on finishing a stack of books on my book shelf, but was sent on a two week trip for work and needed a break from the critical essays I had been reading. I picked this up at the airport bookstore and devoured most of it on my flights. Tropper's language is incredibly engaging, and the plot line is a blur of action that keeps you hooked page to page. The content is hysterically sad leaving you at the tipping point between tears of laughter and tears of concern. Witty and realistic, the family dynamic is as outrageous as a Sedaris story, while remaining eerily familiar to our own family dynamics. Tropper's voice is accessible, and its easy to see how this book climbed its way up the Best Seller list, but its deeply emotional story, its raw and grimy parts, and its attention to detail in tradition and family dynamics makes it an incredibly fulfilling read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Where I Leave You.

03/12/2011 page 194