Sierra Abrams's Reviews > Tiger's Voyage

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck

Jun 04, 2012

bookshelves: love-the-cover, 2011-read, books-of-incredible, fantasy, fiction, to-re-read, young-adult, favorite-love-stories, best-lit-men, 16-and-up, reviewed, on-my-shelf
Read from December 12 to 17, 2011

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck (#3)
Pages: 560
Release Date: November 1st, 2011
Date Read: 2011, December 12th-17th
Received: Library
Rating: 4/5 stars
Recommended to: 16+

These books are awesome, and therefore you should read them. But this review has spoilers to the first two books. If you haven't read Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest, you should check out my reviews for them:
Tiger's Curse
Tiger's Quest

SUMMARY -
Kelsey Hayes is back at Mr. Kadam's - both Tigers safe. Kishan is happy and healthy, but Ren, on the other hand, is still healing - and he still doesn't remember Kelsey. Worse, he feels physically ill when he's around her. Still, he pushes through, eventually admitting he has feelings for her, despite the pain.

As they embark on the third quest, they discover they must uncover Durga's necklace, come face-to-face with Dragons, and possibly something much worse. And all the while Kelsey must decide between the Tiger's - who will she love? And what will trigger the memories Ren is missing?

As Kelsey and her Tiger's come closer than ever before to finishing the Quests, they also discover more behind Lokesh's plans. Will they be able to stop him before he tears them apart?

MY THOUGHTS -
Oh, this book made me SO sad. Not like bawl my head off sad, but the kind of sad that's mixed with slight frustration and tons of anticipation - and love. A lot of it.

Colleen's writing still sin't my favorite, when she's describing things happening in the real world. However, when Kelsey, Ren and Kishan step into magical realms...that is when her talent shows. She writes with fantastic imagery and with a style that reminds me of fairy tales by the Grimm brothers and other fantastic story tellers. Colleen becomes stronger and stronger with every book she writes and I'm so excited to see how she improves in the next book!

CHARACTER NOTES -
I really really respect what Colleen did here: where things could have gotten extremely complicated, she made it worth the read and gave her readers more respect for the characters.

Kelsey continues to be the heroine I want to read about. I feel like I know her well and would totally hang out with her if she was...well...real. I understand what a tough place she's in with trying to break the curse and decide between two amaaaaazing men. She made some choices that...man, I could never imagine making. She's brave, a heroine through and through, and I just canNOT wait for more from her perspective!

Now - onto the boys. Yum yum yum! I'll have one of each, please? ;) Actually, I'm still extremely partial to Ren. So, I'll take an order of Ren with a side of a wedding ring and a few beautiful Indian children. Haha!

In any case. When I said before that these boys are amazing, what I really meant was extremely beyond fantastically incredibly gorgeous and wonderfully amazing super incredible manly men. (Translation...well, there isn't one. You get the picture.) They are both worthy of Kelsey's attentions, for different reasons. But I'm 100% all for Ren. In Tiger's Quest I became drawn to Kishan - but Tiger's Voyage just pulled me right back to Ren. He's got his flaws, like Kishan, and Kelsey, but that doesn't change anything for me. You all know how much I love perfectly imperfect characters. Ren is that. Kishan, in Tiger's Voyage, seemed a bit more on the perfect side (surprisingly) and this is one of the things that made Ren stand out even more. While Kishan is a bit heartbroken because of is love for Kells, Ren's heartbreak seems, to me, much more intense and for an incredibly good reason.

I really enjoy Mr. Kadam and Nilima as well, but Wes annoyed the crap out of me. Let's just leave it at that. He's not important enough to add more.

Now - the dragons. WOWZERS! Colleen has totally done something extraordinary here. Each one was so perfectly described; each had his own amazing personality. Each made his mark on the story, whether for good or for bad. I would name them if I had the book with me. But, as I don't, I'll have to rely on their attributes to say: My favorite is between the star dragon and the hunting dragon. The elements they brought to the table were incredible - especially since they revolved around the passion between Ren and Kells.

STORY NOTES -
Colleen's stories are just in your face awesome! And what I love about them is that each one is completely different from the last. Each has its own feel and beauty and hook.

This time around, Colleen stuns her readers by taking them yet again to lands beyond our own - to the stars, to the deepest oceans, to underwater castles and fantastic islands. There is no end to how cool this story is. I mean, who doesn't want to travel to an underwater treasure trove, or fix the fading glow of a star, or any of the other fantastic journeys within this book?

So basically, I'm amazing. I'm totally dying, because of course there's a cliff-hanger and of course someone's still in mortal danger. I know Colleen's working as fast as she can, but - HURRY UP!!!

SUMMING IT UP -
Gorgeous. Seriously gorgeous. I'm so looking forward to Tiger's Destiny, coming out later this year!

For the Parents -
The boys, both trying to get the lead in Kelsey's affections, are quite a bit more, ummm, bold this time around. Some suggestive comments and gazes, some admiring. Kelsey's "power" is fueled by her passion for Ren, which is definitely written in a suggestive way. Lots of passionate kissing, some detail. Recommended to 16+

Read more reviews at Yearning to Read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger's Voyage.

12/12/2011 page 11
2.0% "Ooooooh Lokesh you are a very bad man."
12/14/2011 page 160
29.0% "I'm really enjoying this! I don't really like Wes, he kind of super annoys me, but I DO like how his character affect the boys' relationships with Kelsey...it's funny. :D"
12/16/2011 page 336
60.0% "i love them both. this is stupid. it's a torture. this book is beautiful."
12/16/2011 page 463
83.0% "STUPID, Kelsey! Stupid stupid stupid!! You chose the wrong man, you dumb idiot!"

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-4)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie I just came across this author/book the other day. Looking forward to reading your thoughts. :-)

Sierra Abrams Ooooh yes, the first and second books were amazing as well! It's worth your read :D

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Very thick books, too, as I saw in WalMart the other day! But thick books are awesome! :-)

Sierra Abrams Yes, they are, but they fly by and you're like, "wait! it's OVER?!" haha