Cathy's Reviews > Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, fairies
Read from February 25 to March 04, 2011

I think I like the cover best, even if it doesn't quite describe the blossom that grows out Laurel's back. I like the plot, even though it's not totally original, though I found the writing to be awkward with some grammatical errors to boot. When listening to an audiobook, mediocre writing really pops out. What I did like was the idea of Laurel being a faeire who was left as a baby in a basket to live with a couple in a log cabin in the woods, woods of great significance to the faeires. After Laurel and her family move away Laurel attends school for the first time and becomes close friends with David. He even helps her out when a blossom begins to grow from her back and after looking at a piece of it under a microscope, confirms that she is a plant.

On a trip home with her family, Laurel meets Tamani, another faerie who explains much about her situation to her. Laurel is drawn to him. In fact she's drawn to both Tamani and David, whether to live among humans or faeries? This is good fare for the Twilight crowd without the repressed sexuality and violence. I liked it much more and it's much shorter. Sequels follow. There is also a battle over the land, but I won't spoil it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings.