Tiffeny's Reviews > Eat Cake

Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray

F_50x66
Mar 30, 11

Read from March 28 to 30, 2011

I'm not sure why I liked this book so much, but I did. I didn't just really like it, I really, really liked it, so I figured I better give it 5 stars, even though it wasn't necessary life changing.

It's about Ruth, who LOVES to bake cakes, and practically has her whole life. When she is stressed and "goes to her happy place", it just so happens to be the rich, dark, warm center of a chocolate bundt cake. Baking cakes relieves her stress, and she starts baking like crazy when her mother moves in with her, then her father has an accident, and moves in as well. Did I mention that her parents are divorced and her mother hates her father? Then her husband loses his job and decides that instead of getting another job, he just wants to build boats. Boats? Really?

This book was fun, funny, and delightful, and I really really liked it. And am grateful to the person who recommended it, through Facebook. I just can't remember who that person was. : )

Ruth's family is sick of cakes, because she makes them so much. A favorite part was when she's having a particulary bad day and begins to make dinner, which is to include glazed carrots. But all she can think about is shredding those carrots up and putting in a cake. She finally decides that if she adds less sugar, doesn't frost it and puts it in a different pan, she can justify it as a vege and maybe disguise it enough that her family won't think of it as cake.

I also really liked her Dad. Her parents divorced when she was 2 and she didn't see him much. But she said that she didn't really bear him any ill-will. She said as she got older it occurred to her that "just because someone isn't cut out to be a husband or father, doesn't make him terrible, only terribly disappointing". I don't know if that's true or not, but I really liked it. Plus, I really liked him. He says funny things and is quite charming, and in that way, he reminds me a little of my dad.

BTW - It was very clean, with very little offensive language. If you're dieting though, I don't recommend. It makes you think about eating cake . . .ALOT!

I'm anxious to read more by Jeanne Ray.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat Cake.