Phil's Reviews > White Doves at Morning

bookshelves: james-lee-burke
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from February 25 to March 05, 2011

White Doves At Morning by James Lee Burke
A Historical Novel written with great passion and patience.

I loved this book! It is well written with the author’s ability to take you back in time to New Iberia, LA just preceding the Civil War. Three high school boys volunteer for the Confederate Army, an Abolitionist named Abigail Dowling (I’m still not sure she is a fictional person or real) assists Negro slaves escape to the North, a slave girl learns to read and teach others, and the Plantation owners and overseers who abuse others, all create a story that is a pleasure to read. I checked on the authenticity of the prominent people, battles, and places that take place in this book and they are all real. I will leave it to you to decide which of the main characters in this book are real and which characters are fiction.

Have patience, the first 75 pages can be slow until you understand the rhythm of the author and get a feel of the time and place being written about. The wait is well worth it. This is a great book for anyone. It again forces us to examine our own hearts and minds about power, abuse and discrimination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Doves at Morning.