Liviu's Reviews > The Falling Machine

The Falling Machine by Andrew P. Mayer

Jul 23, 14

bookshelves: 2011_release_read, genre-sf, read_2011
Read from February 25 to March 04, 2011

This is a fun book in the spirit of George Mann's Ghosts of Manhattan, though lighter at least in tone if not in events which turn darker in the second half.

Superheroes and steampunk in a true age of steam and in New York rather than London at about the time the Brooklyn Bridge was being built - that would be ~1880 and see note below - since the novel starts with a superb action sequence on its construction site - the book moves fast and furious and it delivers what I expected of it quite well with only one niggle, namely it's a little too short and it ends when things become the most interesting with not quite a cliffhanger, but not even a partial resolution either... Though of course this means the sequel became an asap for me since I really want to know what happens next

The other thing I liked about the book beside the setting and author's narrative flow that does not let go, were the characters since despite starting as more-or-less stock (the genius professor, the rich industrialist playing at superhero, the young up and coming blade , "the girl" aka the daughter of the industrialist, the mechanical man and the famous detective superhero, plus the assorted villains, all with funny names but in the spirit of the tale told here) they develop in sometimes unexpected directions and acquire distinctive personalities, most notably the main heroine Sarah Stanton and Tom the mechanical man with a secret.

One thing confused me a little though, namely there is a mention the book takes place in 1808 which does not sound right the way things are set as noted above, but it may be a typo - after all I read a review copy which may not be the final edited copy that will appear in stores in May - for 1880 which would be about right (note - as seen in the comments below, the action takes place in 1880 and that was indeed a typo)

Fun and fast debut which succeeds at what it promises

As usual the full FBC rv will be added closer to the publication date

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Falling Machine.