Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: autographed, printed-book, own, for-review
Read from February 25 to April 02, 2011

"I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard." (Forman 146).

Unique and touching, Mia's journey is an emotional ride that readers everywhere will find pulling at their heartstrings. Mia, cellist and essential good-girl to the core, finds herself standing on the sidelines of a car accident -- her family's car accident. From this moment to the hospital, I realized that Forman truly did a wonderful job with this beginning stage. It could have easily been over or under-done, but it was perfectly effective and heartbreaking. The rollercoaster of emotions that Mia goes through while witnessing everything from the side is realistic and touching. Each flashback of her life before this moment provides a good source of depth to every character and Mia's life, really showing how much she has to lose if things don't work out.

It's easy to get caught up in Forman's words and compare Mia's story to your own life - What if that was me? What if there was nothing I could do but watch my life unravel? I wasn't expecting such a thoughtful story that really pulled me in emotionally - I was up, down and really diving into Mia's hectic life. If I Stay can be described and summed up into one word - memorable.

Highlights: If I Stay is written so beautifully and poignantly. I knew going into this story that would be sad, and it was, but there's so much more to the words than I expected. I loved how the relationship between Mia and Adam wasn't easily begun, because they really are different people with unique likes/dislikes. And the "play me" scene? Hot.

Lowlights: There were a couple times when I questioned some of the words "Mia" would use - they didn't seem to match her voice quite right, but these moments were rare. Also a few moments where the story was pushed a bit too hard, and some of these moments could have been more touching if they'd been reigned in a bit.

Cover Thoughts: I have to respectfully disagree with the quotation on the new paperback cover - this novel is very different from Twilight, and that comparison does not suit the story's style. Compare it instead to Thirteen Reasons Why or Before I Fall - those better match the subject and writing style.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

Quotes Lea (YA Book Queen) Liked

Gayle Forman
“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”
Gayle Forman, If I Stay