Jarad's Reviews > Daisy Miller

Daisy Miller by Henry James

Feb 26, 11

Read from February 25 to 26, 2011

I couldn't get into this book - I found James' writing style to be rather lacking in the art of sentence construction when compared to the last few I read by Edith Wharton. While this is another society piece I found myself disinterested in the fates of the characters. Henry James and Edith Wharton were friends and James almost certainly influenced her writing style though from this short story I would have to say Wharton is the more compelling author.

“Daisy …. continued to present herself as an inscrutable combination of audacity and innocence.”

“”What has she been doing?”
“Everything that is not done here. Flirting with any man she could pick up; sitting in corners with mysterious Italians; dancing all the evening with the same partners; receiving visits at eleven o’clock at night. Her mother goes away visitors come.”

“The young ladies of this country have a dreadfully poky time of it, so far as I can learn; I don’t see why I should change my habits for them.”

“I am afraid your habits are those of a flirt” said Winterbourne gravely
“Of course they are,” she cried, giving him her little smiling stare again. “I’m a fearful, frightful flirt! Did you ever hear of a nice girl that was not? But I suppose you will tell me now that I am not a nice girl.”
“You’re a very nice girl; but I wish you would flirt with me, and me only.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daisy Miller.