Gabrielle's Reviews > The Mockingbirds

F 50x66
Apr 29, 2016

bookshelves: pink-lit, for-nephu
Read in February, 2011

I don't think I could survive with a name like Daisy Whitney - it's a cute name, sort of like Natalie Babbitt. It doesn't seem like these people could possibly grow up to be adults. Natalie Babbitt seems to fall into this category - the only book that I know that she wrote is Tuck Everlasting, which is completely G rated despite its wisdom. Daisy Whitney, however, strays from her name and writes about a serious topic - date rape in high school and standing up for yourself.

Here's how the book's cover sums it up:

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way - the Themis way. So when Alex Patrick is date-raped during her junior year, she has two options: Stay silent and hope someone helps, or enlist the help of the Mockingbirds - a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of the student body.

In this account of a teenage girl's search for her voice and the courage to use it, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that standing up for someone, especially yourself, is worth the fight.

I rather like this summary; it tells you exactly what the book's going to be about. The words on the cover? Not so much. When I picked up the book, I was sort of under the impression that it was going to be a spy novel. If you're thinking the same way I was, you're about to be sadly disappointed. This is not a spy school, or a school for mini geniuses, or anything like that. This is a story about a boarding school where teachers have failed to discipline students and a council of students has taken it into their own hands to rule in the favor of justice.

I like this book. I think the way that the characters - confused, hurt Alex, her strong older sister Casey, and her super-supportive best friend T.S. all approach the issue is realistic ways. Alex's emotions and confusing are portrayed in a realistic (I think) way.

I really like the Mockingbirds; they kick butt. With the cover of a singing group, students get together to investigate crimes that break the law that the student body agrees on. Saying that their a secret society isn't strictly truthful - all the students know they exist, but no one knows who's in the court and what exactly is happening. I happen to think they're awesome. Since they can't actually punish people in the traditional sense, their punishments consist of taking away whatever the guilty hold most dear. There's a lot more to the Mockingbirds, but I'll let you figure that all out on your own as you read the book.

One of the most fabulous people is Martin. He's Alex's friend, her maybe-more-than-friend, and with his rather high-up position in the court, her support during the case.

The ickiest person is Carver, Alex's date- raper. He's a creep.

Yeah. I could probably keep going on and on about this book because it was really wonderful. You should read it.

Wait! I forgot! Alex is a totally amazing pianist, but her favorite piece is ruined cause of Carver. Yes, we can punish him now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mockingbirds.

04/29/2016 marked as: read