ErinReadsTooMuch's Reviews > Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire

Cupid by Julius Lester

Feb 26, 11

Read on February 25, 2011, read count: 1

This is a YA book, and written in the style of an old Southern man telling a story. If you like Greek and Roman mythology, you'll love this book. And if you go into it knowing it's YA and written Storyteller style, then you'll probably enjoy it even more. The writer injects his own thoughts and interpretations into the story, and treats the story as an animated object trying to tell it's story through him. It's the tale of Cupid and Psyche, with lots of other Gods and Goddesses (including lots of lesser known ones) injected into it. As characters go, Psyche seems to me like a girl with very little intelligence or spine. But I don't know how much you can improve on a known mythical character. She goes through her life sad and lonely because she is so beautiful, and though they state she is intelligent, the only thing that she thinks about is philosophical questions regarding beauty. Since her sisters only think about being beautiful and material things, I guess it is a small improvement, but it doesn't really point to real intelligence. She has moments of bravery, and has a very kind and soft heart. But she always does as she is told, and falls in love with a man who only visits her at night to make love to her. She is easily manipulated, and feels sorry for herself a lot - even going so far as to try to kill herself because Cupid leaves her at one point. So, in my opinion, she is very weak willed and not too smart, but with small moments of bravery - usually followed by more moments of stupidity. All that being said, I still enjoyed the story, and thought the author had a nice spin on it and way of telling it. If I was still a teenager, this probably would have been a favorite of mine, as I was very into Greek Mythology at that age, and trying to understand love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cupid.