Nancy (NE)'s Reviews > South of Broad

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from February 25 to March 10, 2011

I struggled with what to give this book. There are parts of the writing, in particular the descriptive writing about Charleston, that were wonderful. The characters were a little too Hollywood for me. Larger than life, full of pithy retorts and a little cliched. They survived every obstacle thrown at you from religion, homosexuality, racism, abuse and a little murder to hurricane Hugo, overcome with perfect aplomb. On the other hand, Conroy writes autobiographically in many of his books. I am the last person to diminish his experiences. Being a USAF spouse I have harbored an interest in his earlier books that deal with growing up among seven siblings who were military brats and faced their own mental health issues, one of whom committed suicide. Will have to finally get to those. It was extremely entertaining and a diversion I needed at the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Broad.

03/05/2011 page 216

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marialyce Love this author, Nancy. Have you read his Beach Music? It is on my top 5 book list.

message 2: by Nancy (NE) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (NE) No haven't read Beach Music. I am more familiar with him for Lords of Discipline and The Great Santini because of their reflections on life as a military brat and the Citadel.I may be an air force wife, but I have some strongly negative feelings about military mentality. There's a fine balance in there somewhere. I think my attitude comes from having married into this life in my 30's. I already had my own identity and didn't buy into the whole officer's wife garbage. It carries about the same sense of entitlement and rank that some teachers feel towards the paras, secretaries and custodians!

Marialyce That is a great way to compare it. My father in law was a naval flight commander and I know from whence you speak. My husband was very affected by reading The Great Santini.

message 4: by Nancy (NE) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (NE) My husband is first generation military so to speak. God bless him - he doesn't have that kind of bone in his body. He's shy, soft spoken and respectful of everyone. Back when we were just married, it was worse. The pressure was on to participate when you get into commanding positions. I did jobs that suited me, but when we moved here to a large headquarters it was easy to just disappear!

But my Mom's sister was married to an army colonel and my two cousins both have some issues I think are due to my Uncle's behavior.

message 5: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda I'm waiting for my copy to come. All your fault Nancy.... :0)

Nancy (NE) hahaha Linda! Which one did we entice you in to? South of Broad or one of those military ones?

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda South of Broad and then of course I had to get My Reading Life (on the Kindle.) I needed that one as a follow up book! ;)

Nancy (NE) That's another one I have contemplated and heard fairly good things about. I have a few on my shelves of that genre "about reading."