Lea's Reviews > Grundish and Askew

Grundish and Askew by Lance Carbuncle

Mar 09, 11

bookshelves: acquired-2011, read-2011, love-the-cover, bizarro, reviews
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Throw Trailer Park Boys, "Of Mice and Men", and Carbuncle's "Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed" into a blender, and this is what you'd come up with -- a surreal and violent odyssey through central Florida, where "tell me about the rabbits" becomes "tell me about the ladies", and dogs and donkeys visit your dreams to dispense advice.

While this book features some old friends from the author's previous book, "Grundish and Askew" is much darker. There is a lot more violence here, some of it gruesome enough to make me pause while reading. There are also a lot of grotesque images -- throat cheese? Ugh! -- that those of us who are more sensitive will have a hard time forgetting.

Grundish and Askew are not good guys. They're bad guys. But -- at least in Grundish's case -- bad guys with a heart of gold. They share a genuine affection and loyalty towards each other that is truly touching. Even knowing that they're headed down the wrong path, you can't help but root for them, hoping against hope that their inevitable tragedy will be averted.

While I felt the plot meandered a bit, and the characters' motivations weren't always entirely clear, the story was intriguing and suspenseful. I cared about all of the characters, even when they didn't do what I wanted them to do, even when they made choices that dragged them deeper and deeper into this terrible hole they had dug for themselves. The ending -- while unexpected -- felt like the only possible outcome after all was said and done.

I would definitely recommend this book, but with a warning for those of a squeamish nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grundish and Askew.