Scarlet's Reviews > Widdershins

Widdershins by Charles  de Lint

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in February, 2011

I've only read one other de Lint book, The Onion Girl, and this was basically a sequel so it was easy to figure out what was happening. The pacing was very odd; when I got to the climax of the book, I was baffled that I was still listening to part 17 of 19 (each part being a little over an hour long). And it got a little preachy at the end, with every character basically hammering home the author's opinions on how we're meant to leave the world a better place than when we came into it, how we need to search for The Grace in our actions and intentions, etc. Even though I agree with him, it got tiresome.

The narrator was really excellent, except for Jilly. Somehow she managed to exaggerate all the things I find annoying about that character. Jilly seems a little too good to be true, and the narrator made her a little too whiny and weak (even though all the other characters can't shut up about how awesome and tough she is). But I loved how the reader did the Crow Girls' voices and the male characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widdershins.