Emily-Jane Orford's Reviews > The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing

The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing by Mayra Calvani

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: business

Amateur book reviewers beware! Mayra Calvani and Anne K. Edwards’ book, The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing, has your number and you are being watched! I had better make sure that I double cross my “t’s” and double dot my “i’s”, since I have now been assigned the slippery task of writing a book review on book reviewing. I thought I had the reviewing art down pat, but The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing has given me further points to ponder and improve my brush strokes to make my book reviews into a fine art. All I have to do is follow some of the extremely solid advice presented in this book and consider the lists of do’s and don’t’s (and, of course, make sure that I always check my list twice).

Writing a book review about book reviewing! Isn’t that something of an oxymoron? It was this daunting thought that haunted me as I plowed my way through yet another good book of useful advice. I am astounded at what I always took for granted as essentials for good book reviewing: the art of critical reading, the non-prejudice mind-set that is essential for a fair and honest review, the time and patience in reading and writing about both good and not-so-good books, and the diplomatic stance one must take to defend oneself when challenged about one’s review. There are a few nice benefits to this task: free books, free exposure of one’s own writing skills, and sometimes a small payment. Then, there is the business side of the art. Whilst one would never become rich as a book reviewer, one could always create a book review business with an online website or in the print journal format. It is all a matter of knowing how to do it and where to find the resources to help.

Mayra Calvani and Anne K. Edwards are successful book reviewers. The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing is a compilation of lessons learned and rock solid advice for both the novice and the experienced book reviewer. Each chapter takes the amateur and experienced book reviewer through different steps in the process. The authors use examples of their own published reviews and provide alternate ways to write the same reviews from different perspectives. There are useful resources provided, as well as a good list of print and online book review sites where reviewers can submit their work.

Although some of the material seems repetitive, The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing is a useful took for both amateur and professional book reviewers, as well as book review editors. There should be no doubt that the good tips, thoughtful perspective and resource information can be of considerable value to anyone wishing to practice this art. It is highly recommended by award-winning author, Emily-Jane Hills Orford, Allbooks Reviews.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing.