Lea's Reviews > Muscle Memory

bookshelves: acquired-2011, read-2011, favorites, bizarro, reviews
Recommended for: everyone
Read on February 25, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

THANK GOD!!

FINALLY I get another great book -- the last couple of things I've picked up have been major disappointments, and I was so worried that this would be more of the same, but no! It's wonderful!

Okay, here's what I didn't realize about this book -- it is funny, like laugh-out-loud huge guffaws funny. I'm serious -- by page 14 (I checked), I had laughed so many times, so long and so hard, that my husband turned to me and said "you've certainly gotten your money's worth with that book". Too right, I did! Edgar the sheep alone was worth the price of admission!

Billy Gillespie wakes up one morning to discover that he has switched bodies with his wife during the night. Chaos and hilarity ensues as he finds that most everyone he knows is in the same boat. Along the way Billy learns quite a bit about himself, his wife Tina, and their relationship -- things that he probably SHOULD have known all along, but couldn't see until it was too late.

This book is really amazing -- it has a lot to say about friendship, marriage, and the "battle of the sexes", but it does so in a quiet way. You're so busy laughing, then the author hits you with something that feels not quite so funny, something that makes you think and maybe feel a little sad. I couldn't help imagining myself and my friends and family in this situation -- would we have the same feelings these characters did? Would we reach the same conclusions, have the same insights? I love it when a book entertains me AND makes me think.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but I think especially for people who are interested in bizarro fiction but who might be scared that it will be too disturbing, weird, or gross. None of that stuff here -- this is bizarre, but oddly sweet. Definitely a wonderful introduction to the genre.

UPDATE:

I can't stop thinking about this book! Initially I think I didn't give it as much credit as it deserved, simply because this is a really really short book. What a shame, though, because it packs a huge punch into a small package. Due to space restrictions, whenever I finish reading a book I pack it away to go into storage (literally, my shelves are overflowing!) But I'm finding myself reluctant to put this one where I wouldn't be able to grab it and re-read it whenever the mood struck me. So I'm keeping this one where I can find it at a moment's notice, and I'm adding it to my favourites list.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muscle Memory.

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Great review, Lea. This book is on my soon to read shelf (aka my "on deck circle").