Erika's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: signed-by-author, 2012, science-fiction, young-adult
Read from February 12 to 29, 2012

I was lucky enough to see Lauren Oliver at a book signing last year and think she is an amazing person. That being said, her book had a lot to live up to. Delirium is the first book I've read of hers and I also have Before I Fall to look forward to.

I have to admit that when I first heard about this book, the premise seemed a little bit gimmicky to me, like it was something that would be hard to pull off. Love is a disease that people are cured of. Really? It's a neat idea but would it be a little bit too "after school special" for my taste? But there so many rave reviews and everyone said this was a must read. Therefore, I had to give it a try.

I'm glad I did! I enjoyed Lauren Oliver's writing style. It flows very beautifully and she has obviously thought through how the world might work if love really were thought of as a disease. She paints a very scary portrait. A nice touch were the proverbs and excerpts from books at the beginning of each chapter. No, not books that are published in our world. Books Lauren Oliver has made up especially for this one. It lent a huge hand to setting the tone of the book and was a bit of foreshadowing for each chapter that kept me guessing what would happen next.

As for the love story between Lena and Alex I also thought it was quite beautiful. Unfortunately I felt there was way too much time describing what happens and having Lena reflect on what was going on instead of putting in more action and dialogue. It made me feel a little bit disconnected to what was going on. I did enjoy their relationship though. Alex was so awesome :)

So does Delirium live up to the awesomeness that is Lauren Oliver? Not really. But that has more to do with just how awesome Lauren Oliver is rather than the quality of this book. I think she pulled off the story really well despite my earlier concerns and really enjoyed learning about her world. It is a book I would recommend with an open heart <3

**As reviewed on One A Day Y.A>
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.