Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Of Dukes and Deceptions

Of Dukes and Deceptions by Wendy Soliman

Feb 25, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, netgalley, march-2011, historical, regency-romance, wanna-make-a-bet, bondage-or-kink, promiscuous-hero, 2011-read
Read in March, 2011

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic

When I first read the description of this novel, I knew I had to read it. A Duke, a wager, a hoyden, and a villain out for murder, it all sounded incredibly intriguing.

Unfortunately, there was a major detail missing from the description that in my opinion completely changes the target audience for the book, and completely blindsided me. It seems that Nicholas is into submissive women in the bedroom. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love a good D/s story, and to have one with a historical setting is utterly delicious for me. However, I prefer to know ahead of time that romantic interludes are going to involve blindfolds, bound hands, and vigorous spankings, rather than to be happily reading along only to have to pause and look at the cover to make sure I’m still reading the right book.

Despite my dislike of the love scenes, the rest of the book was an enjoyable read.

However, since the goings-on in the bedroom are such an integral part of any romance novel, I will say that this was simply an okay read.

It is important to note that the bondage and “D/s” elements, if you can really call them that, are very mild in the overall scheme of things, so readers only looking for light bondage and D/s play will likely enjoy this book.

To be completely fair, I imagine that had I known about the kink going into the story, perhaps by the author having invented a slightly “dark” reputation for the hero or something, I definitely think this book would have rated higher for me.

As it is, however, 2/5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Dukes and Deceptions.