Kenya Wright's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Mar 04, 11

bookshelves: character-study, books-by-authors-that-should-be-hit, magic-and-witches
Recommended for: PEOPLE WHO LIKE CHARACTER STUDIES ON DEPRESSION
Read from February 28 to March 04, 2011

This is NOT a fantasy book. This is an attempt at writing the Great American Novel, with references to magic.

This book does NOT throw you into some widely imagined fantasy world, where you fall in love with the characters and want to live there.
This book is in NO WAY an adult Harry Potter.

This is NOT a book that motivates you to escape every day life... At times I put the book down to wash the dishes or write a shopping list.

This book IS Harry Potter IF and ONLY IF:

- you take out Hogwarts & put in a small college of a 100 geeky students who only study hard "boring texts on magic" (how it is described in the book)

- you take out any interesting characters or magic from Harry Potter & put in a manic depressive main male character surrounded by other characters that have mental disorders that are boring.

- you take out all of the antagonists (that's
right no Snape-like, Malfoy-like, or even Voldemort-like characters..) There is no enemy. GET THIS: the enemy is (sound the bell) the main character's hope. That's right, i said it. His hope conflicts with his depression and his desire to be depressed throughout the book.

- you take out the Harry Potter style of making a school year the entire story of the book & summarize Each college semester into a chapter. So that by chapter 8 you've basically gone through four years of college at this magic college and you end up having no connection too. I literally can't tell you anything interesting about the college or the professors.

THIS IS A FREAKIN CHARACTER STUDY ON HOPE & DEPRESSION that is under the guise of Fantasy. Which is fine for people who love well-written fiction character studies, but I wanted a freakin fantasy book, Asshole!

I didn't want to follow the journey of depressing middle class kids who are not satisfied with their parents, are consistenly depressed and negative all though nothing has happened in their lives to suggest that the depression is justified. They are not overly impressed with magic and they shouldn't be because its described as "studying for complex calculus" or even better the Dean (what's his name... I don't know, he's uninteresting, lacks interesting magic... he is no dumbledore) anyway the Dean tells them at graduation "Maybe we are all natural magicians because we are so depressed and unhappy!"

This guy should be assasinated for his advertising this as an adult Harry Potter book or even fantasy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

02/28/2011 page 50
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Thanks for the review. Good to know.