Jessica's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Mar 03, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, teen-kids
Read from February 24 to March 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

This is actually the second time I've read this book; the first time was back when it first came out, more than a decade ago. My opinion has not actually changed much: at the time I found it an enjoyable kid's book - I could see why the 11-year-old I babysat loved it, but I didn't really see it as a book that would be good for all ages. It is definitely a children's book. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy it, just that the writing style, story themes, and overall plot are more geared to a certain age group.
The story is almost a rags-to-riches tale (that I'm sure everyone already knows) - orphan boy who is mistreated by the only family he knows suddenly discovers that he is actually a very famous wizard, and will soon be attending a school for wizards called Hogwarts. When he gets to Hogwarts he not only has to deal with all of the things that an 11-year-old at a new school always has to deal with, but he also must navigate a whole new world of magic wands, potions, owls, and broomsticks. In addition to that, there is something sinister going on which leads Harry to believe that the evil wizard who killed his parents, Voldemort, may be trying to return. Harry and his friends Ron and Hermione get into all sorts of scrapes while trying to snoop out the truth, but are always able to get away. Good triumphs over evil, but with a sense that this is only the beginning . . .
Now that it has become such an international phenomenon I realize that others may not agree with me that this is mostly a children's book. Obviously it has been hailed repeatedly as the story that can be enjoyed by the whole family. I have only read the first two books, and have seen up through the sixth movie, and it appears that as Harry Potter grows, so his readers are expected to grow with him. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series to see how not only the characters mature, but how the story matures as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.