Flora Bateman's Reviews > The Twelfth Insight: The Hour of Decision

The Twelfth Insight by James Redfield

May 23, 11

bookshelves: firstreads, sci-fi, religious-fict, philosophy
Read from May 20 to 23, 2011

I won this book from Firstreads and I was really excited to get it as I had read all the others before it. Maybe my expectations were too high but after reading it I was rather disappointed.

The story is Our Hero (why doesn't this guy have a name? I can't remember if he had one in the other books, its been too long since I read them) teams up with Will to find yet another Insight which is made up of Integrations. Always before Each Insight was seperate and just connected to the next in line. Anyway, all these integrations connect together to give us the power to stop Armageddon. Instead of invoking a Holy War we are actually given a Revelation to connect with the divine and solve the worlds problems. There is more philosophy here than actual storyline. Thats the biggest problem I have with this book. The guy without a name simply picks up where he left off in the last book. Its like the last several years never happened. He has no job but plenty of money to go running to Egypt. He also has no relationship/girlfriend and its not ever mentioned what happened to the previous women in his life. And it seems as though he views relationships like that as spiritually beneath him. He only wants to have relationships with women on a platonic plane.

The begining of the book reviews things that were experienced in the earlier books except for some important things in The Secret of Shambhala: In Search of the Eleventh Insight were just ignored particularly about dealing with past lives. He met up with Rachel and seemed to connect with her on a deeper level and this possibility of a past life experience was just ignored. Shouldn't he have integrated these insights into his life pretty thoroughly by now?

I agree that the world is headed in a bad direction and it will take all of us to make a difference. And the possibilities of terrorism are very real and very scarey. But, this book is more philosophy than story and alot of attention to detail was lacking. Such as the descriptions of people, I could get no clear picture about who these people were that he was interacting with. And other little things bugged me, such as they did all that traveling on a little bit of salad and a granola bar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelfth Insight.

05/22/2011 page 86
05/22/2011 page 116
48.0% "so far I'm not overly impressed"
show 1 hidden update…