Logan's Reviews > Rumpelstiltskin

Feb 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: folktale-fairytale-myth, picture-book
Read in February, 2011

The Renaissance-style oil paintings in this book were amazing; they really made the story. Brilliant colors, interesting perspectives, expressive faces, and evocative historic details of architecture and clothes. The text is true to the Grimm version but kind of boring, so the paintings were crucial to give the story sparkle. Logan, who is almost 7, has asked me many questions since about the nature of Rumplestiltskin: Was he evil? Was he a witch (due to flying on a wooden spoon)? Why did he want a baby? I explained that he was more like fairies or leprechauns; not exactly evil, but out for his own gain and mischief and not too concerned about humans. Interesting that L had no questions about the king, who was only interested in the miller's daughter for her ability to create gold and willing to threaten her with death and then 3 days later, to want to marry her. I guess the idea that kings are greedy bastards isn't so alien to him, considering how many fairy and folk tales we've read, which often illustrate how power and greed go hand in hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumpelstiltskin.

05/26 marked as: read