Tina's Reviews > Paper Cuts: Dodging Deadlines, Celebrity run-ins and Other stories I told the Internet

Paper Cuts by Pam Pastor

Sep 10, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: anthology, filipino, non-fiction, 2012
Read from August 10 to 11, 2012

Original post at One More Page

I got this book a year ago during the book launch, not because I knew the author or I was even really remotely interested -- I got this simply because I wanted to support local authors and their work. Of course, with the not-so-high interest level, I pushed this down my TBR until I finally pulled it out so I can finally read it. Paper Cuts is a collection of stories from journalist/writer Pam Pastor based on her adventures in her "crazy life". I liked the idea, given that I'm a blogger myself, although I doubt that my life is as crazy as hers.

I enjoyed Paper Cuts for the most part, especially the ones where the author shared anecdotes about her family. There's nothing like crazy family stories to set the tone of a non-fiction book. I also liked her crazy commuting/cab stories because I share the same things too. However...my enjoyment kind of stopped there. After some time, I just couldn't relate much to the other parts of the book. It feels like maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I wanted to have the same adventures as she did -- meet different celebrities, go around the world for her job and party when there's time -- but I'm actually quite happy with my own life. These stories were good to read, but it's not something that I would probably gush about, unless they were my own experiences, that is. But knowing (boring) old me, I don't think I'll even reach as many crazy experiences like that.

It's not a bad book, per se. The writing was very witty and again, there were several stories that made me chuckle, but I was a bit apathetic for the rest of the stories. It's just one of those books that I am not a part of the intended audience. But you know what, maybe that's why I haven't heard of the author until her book came out -- maybe it's because we're just in entirely different circles. Overall, it's an okay book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Cuts.

08/11/2012 page 169