Jenna's Reviews > When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present

When Everything Changed by Gail Collins

F_50x66
Feb 24, 11

Well, that explains a lot.

I also finally "get" the book Stranger in a Strange Land, which I was completely flummoxed by when I read it back in high school. The sci-fi story, written in the 60s, really shows more of the time it was written in than anything else. The notion of free love and the sexual revolution are obvious themes, and the treatment of women as suitable for supportive roles but never leaders is an attitude that permeates the entire story and is the main reason I was unable to like any of it. At first I was just confused, but after reading 'When Everything Changed' I understand that that attitude towards women is not a particular strangeness of the author- that's just how it was back then. It also explains why my parents were confused when I tried to explain... they read it back when it was published and didn't notice anything off! It's amazing how far we have come in a few decades.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Everything Changed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty410 (new)

Betty410 Yes indeed. I can remember what My Mother went through! And she was unusually aggressive.

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin I can't tell you how happy I am to see a woman who truly did not understand the omnipresence of second class citizenship that women and girls were expected to expect and worse, completely understand. Although my memories don't even start until the early 1970s, I took it as a given that women were treated that badly as a matter of fact and that the struggle to be considered equal was still very much live (as it is today, actually). But it is better than it was. The horror stories of my mother and grandmother (both of whom were firebrand types) are enraging and soul-crushing to hear. But even remembering the casual "well of course boys are smarter than girls" undertone of 70s/80s grammar/high schooling--it was so crippling, so depressing and enraging. It is such a happy thing to see the changes from a newer genertaion still. :)