Dini's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Apr 19, 15

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Dini by: Ariyati Lestari, Alison
Read in October, 2009

It took me a while to finish this book, probably because the style (long paragraphs, little dialogue, jumps in time) made it feel a lot like I had to plod through the story. But there were certainly some shining moments. Transition from one topic and occasion to another is done smoothly -- thus not disrupting the seemingly endless narration. I've been told Marquez's writing style in this novel is called magical realism. I'm not sure I really grasped what it means, but reading the book made me feel like walking through a long, complicated dream.

And now on to the story. To me, Florentino Ariza's so-called everlasting love sounds a lot more like a mentally unstable man's obsession. His claim of fidelity to Fermina Daza also falls like empty words when contrasted with his numerous sexcapades throughout the years (his latest one is especially sickening considering the circumstances). I actually liked Fermina and Dr. Urbino together, they seem like a good match. Marquez offers a lot to ponder on the question of the importance of love. How important is love in a marriage, and in life? Is it what you need most in life? Can you actually live without it?

I was curious as to how the story will turn out once Urbino dies, but as I read the last page I felt indifferent toward the ending. Perhaps it's because I was unable to sympathize with Florentino and thus couldn't care much whether or not he obtained his goal. Overall, two stars for the writing, plus one for the story.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.

09/10/2009 page 78
17.97% "The symptoms of love were the same as those of cholera" 6 comments
10/04/2009 page 278
64.06% "How come this guy doesn't get STDs? Then the book will be called Love in the Time of Gonorrhea." 12 comments
10/12/2009 page 347
79.95% "Finally back to the present" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I like this one :) Marquez always enchants me.

Dini Hope I can enjoy it. Looks like long paragraphs with little dialogue :/

miaaa buku tentang orang sakit jiwa :D
aku sukaaaaaaaaaa

message 4: by Leli (new)

Leli *jempol* :D

Rauf Waktu itu nonton pelmnya nggak sengaja. Kayanya nggak ada yang sakit jiwa...Unless you count whatshisface love for the girl.

Grace Tjan WHRauf wrote: "Waktu itu nonton pelmnya nggak sengaja. Kayanya nggak ada yang sakit jiwa...Unless you count whatshisface love for the girl."

Florentino Ariza & Fermina Daza (nama orang kolombia bagus2 ya), based on Marquez's parents. Filmnya nggak terlalu bagus sih. Javier Bardem makeup tuanya rada aneh. hehehe.

Sakit jiwa --- there is a fine line between love and obsession.

Sherien miaaa wrote: "buku tentang orang sakit jiwa :D
aku sukaaaaaaaaaa"

pas baca gw jg mikir florentino sakit jiwa!! seriously, c'mon...freaky bgt kalo ada orang kayak gt... tapi pas bagian akhir bgt baru berasa kalo dia lebih 'normal'

Rauf Ah iya. Javier Bardem. I only watched the film cause the actress who played Fermina ain't too hard on the eyes - even after they made her look like a 70 year old.

message 9: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I agree with Sandy: there is thin line between love and obsession. Admit it, everyone :)

But when I read this book, the word 'sakit jiwa' never entered my mind o_o

miaaa hehe it's a personal views anyway.

Grace Tjan miaaa wrote: "hehe it's a personal views anyway.
obsesi seorang florentino terhadap fermina itu menurut aku bukan di tahap sekedar cinta lagi, it's beyond any state of sanity I'd dare to say :D"

It's called magic realism...;D

Sherien magical realism explains it ;o)

message 13: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Magic realism, yeah. That explains the frame of the work, so everything could happen and never be considered as 'weird' :)

message 14: by Dini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dini Baru mulai nih, blm ketemu magic-nya...

message 15: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Don't expect magic like Harry Potter by the way :D

Grace Tjan Where's the review? : )

message 17: by Dini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dini Ntar ya... buku yg lama diselesaikan biasanya lama juga dipikirin reviewnya, haha.

message 18: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Urbino Urbino :D
I think Florentino is yeah, weird, but I can understand him *curcol*

message 19: by Dini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dini Pernah punya obsesi juga ya? ;P

message 20: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Yes, but I am trying to get over it :p

Grace Tjan Jangan keterusan sampai jadi kakek nenek gitu ya....hehehe.

message 22: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar Hahahah no, Sandy, thanks for reminding me :)

Alison So...some say "romantic", but Dini says "mentally- deranged stalker." Gotcha. :)

message 24: by Ayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayu Palar I won't say it's romantic either, Alison, but it's love. It can be very obsessive :)

Alison Agreed. :)