Susan O'Bryant's Reviews > Eating Heaven

Eating Heaven by Jennie Shortridge

Feb 24, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2009

Eleanor Samuels is a very special heroine and while reading this novel I felt that she was a real person. Rarely do I get attached to a fictional character, but she was so easy to relate to (except, thankfully, for the part about having someone close dying of cancer). Also rarely, books do not linger in my mind for long, and this novel is an exception for me. Several times since I finished the book I have stopped to reflect on the lessons Ellie learned and how she handled learning them with such grace and normalcy.

Anyone who has ever had a love/hate relationship with food and dieting will surely understand this quote (from page 80): "To hell with food and its false love, its deception. It lures you in, says, 'I'll make you feel better, I'll be there for you.' And then it drives everyone else away."

I don't feel that any review I could give this book would live up to its meaningful subject and poignancy. I'll just say it's the best book I've read in a long, long time, even if it did make me sob throughout the last 50 pages. Read this one and then go hug the people you love and tell them you love them for who they are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Heaven.