Crystal's Reviews > Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing by Kathy Cano-Murillo

Mar 14, 11

bookshelves: for-review, read-march-2011
Read from March 08 to 09, 2011

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing is everything I thought it would be and so much more. It's a light, fun story with interesting characters, yet there is a serious tone to it as well with lessons learned, love and friendship. But I think the main thing is this book is a pleasure to read from start to finish. I found myself feeling like I was right there among the characters, and sharing life and love with them while learning Miss Scarlet's patternless sewing method.

If you don't sew or aren't crafty - don't worry - this book is about so much more than sewing or crafting. It is a thread that runs through the book but it does not take over. It's just like that extra added bonus for those of us who do sew.

The characters are outstanding. I loved Scarlet and watching her grow and learn through this book. She is so spunky and sure of herself that I want to be her when I grow up. I like that she never lets her spunky side go even when times are hard. I like to hear how she dresses and found descriptions of her house, her clothes and her family to be a lot of fun. I also love Mary Theresa and see a lot of myself in her as she is in the beginning, so tight and order driven. I love how she changes and grows and learns to let go a little and becomes a whole new person while staying true to herself. It's a tough process but I loved her as she changed. Rosa is also an amazing character - the little old lady with spunk who attends the class and captures everyone's heart. Add to that two teenage sisters and Olivia, who is spunky in her own way and uses her life lessons to help teach Scarlet and Mary Theresa lessons along the way.

The plot is wonderful as well - will Scarlet get the money to go to her dream sewing internship? That seems to be the main question along with wondering if she will stay true to herself and also who exactly is Rosa? I love how the plot weaves the lives of the sewing classmates lives together and how they all become friends out of class - friends that will help each other when situations are bad. There are some very humorous scenes in the book, I laughed and laughed at times and at other times I was so touched I was in tears.

What else can I say - I loved this book - it's a great women's fiction book. It's the tale of life, love, family and friendship and everyone learns valuable lessons. Ms. Cano-Murillo weaves this magic tale in a wonderful way that had me turning page after page to see what would happen next to the members of the sewing class and Miss Scarlet. I can't say enough about the feel-good quality of this book. It's just one of those books that you sigh with happiness at the end and then you want more and more of the characters. I would say these characters will stick with you for quite awhile, and feel like friends when the book is over. Thank you Cathy Cano-Murillo for your wonderful book and I look forward to more fiction titles in the future!

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing.

03/08/2011 page 70
18.0% "I love the characters, Scarlet is so easy-going and I see myself in Mary-Therese"
03/09/2011 page 201
50.0% "Love this so far!"