Traci's Reviews > The Crystal Shard

The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore

Feb 16, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, aficionado-top-100-challenge
Read from February 14 to 16, 2012

An elf, a dwarf, and a halfling walk into a bar...wait you've heard this one before?
Yeah, okay. There's nothing truly original here. Nothing we haven't encountered before. But I like it.

A little different than the usual "quest" style of fantasy this one concentrates on a group of settlers trying to save their home from an invading wizard who has been possessed by an ancient artifact.

If you've read Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn first you will notice a difference in style. The Crystal Shard was written first even though chronology it comes after. Homeland matches the later books more.

But if you have a problem with the characters, especially Drizzt, you might as well stop now. On a whole the writing does improve though.

It's hard consider this book in a bubble because I've read all the Drizzt books that are out. And I know that favorites are coming.

*Happy Dance* Artemis Entreri is coming *Happy Dance*
(ahem, a favorite character, or can you tell)

I recommend these books to fans of Dungeons and Dragons gameplay and books. Fans of traditional fantasy. To those who are just getting into fantasy. And for anyone who might want a light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crystal Shard.

06/24/2016 marked as: read

David Sarkies I remember when this book was first published, it literally existed, at the time, in a bubble all of its own. However due to its popularity came the next two of the aptly misnamed Icewind Dale Trilogy (this really shows my age, doesn't it?)