Traci's Reviews > Homeland

Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Read on February 10, 2012

I read this years ago, maybe ten, and wondered how it would measure up to my memory. Not bad.

Salvatore is good at delivering what he promises. These are just fun action packed fantasy reads. With interesting places, memorable characters, exotic creatures and exciting battles. Although there are moments when he takes himself too seriously. When reading Forgotten Realms I'm not looking for philosophy you know?

This is my favorite trilogy of the Drizzt books (a quick aside I enjoy Salvatore's writing but some of his names are just terrible). I like how each book has a theme and represents the journey of his youth.

In Homeland we read about the drow and their homeworld. The family, religion, academic, and political aspects of their race. And although in this book they come across a little one dimensional (they get better) it's an interestingly different read.

One of my favorite things about the character of Drizzt (and why I'm disappointed in later books) is his inherent goodness. He's not a flawed anti hero. He doesn't struggle with doing the right thing. He doesn't do the right thing because it's "right" (and actually in his world it's the wrong thing) but because it's instinct. But he also isn't a saint, savior, or paragon.

My favorite sections in this one are those between Drizzt and his father Zaknafein (these names are like bad scramble hands-thanks mst3k) Zak like his son is cursed with morals in an immoral society. He is stuck in a life he hates. Lashing out the only way he can. In many ways reading this today ten years, or so, older I found his plight more interesting than young Drizzt's.

So yes, I still loved it. It won't stack up well against your Martin, Erikson, Abercrombie, Kay...but they aren't meant to.

I recommend to any open minded fan of fantasy who wants a fun quick book.
28 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeland.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kevin Xu I loved the Crystal Shard way more because without the success of that book, there would be no Homeland.

Kevin Xu I also like it because I feel like in the Crystal Shard, Drizzt's intentions are so mysterious, not knowing his background. It makes it that much more emotional and epic. Plus the plot of the book is so non traditional or cliche than Homeland.

Traci I'm surprised you think Homeland is more clichéd than Crystal Shard. Those are very traditional quest styled fantasy. I love those too. But I loved reading about the Drow. But I'm going to reread all of them to see if my opinion has changed. Btw, I wasn't counting books 7-13 as trilogies because I don't know how they are broken down.
My favorite trilogy is actually The Sellswords. :)

Kevin Xu Traci wrote: "I'm surprised you think Homeland is more clichéd than Crystal Shard. Those are very traditional quest styled fantasy. I love those too. But I loved reading about the Drow. But I'm going to reread a..."

Where is the quest in the Crystal Shard?

Plus I find Homeland to be more of bildungsroman story than a normal quest.

Traci Maybe I can answer that when I get there...
Haven't read it in quite a few years but I remember Crystal Shard as being a band of heroes (elf, dwarf, human, barbarian, halfling...) having to stop an evil wizard which I personally consider a typical quest tale. But I'll be rereading it soon. So I'll see.

And gotcha about thinking Homeland is traditional and cliché as a coming of age story. I wasn't getting that. I still disagree but I understand.

Kevin Xu Traci wrote: "Maybe I can answer that when I get there...

Yeah, but for me to be a traditional quest, there has to be some traveling from point a to point b.

Kevin Xu Traci wrote: "Maybe I can answer that when I get there...

Why do you disagree?

message 3: by Kevin (last edited Feb 12, 2012 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I thought the Sellswords was good starting off, but end crappy. I loved Servant of the Shard, and thought it was really interesting. The Promise of the Witch King was too cliche, being a dungeon crawl, even though I also loved it as well. Then Road of the Patriarch, I thought it was too much celebrating from the victory from Promise of the Witch King, along with too many background story that was fill with long drawn out dialogues with no enough action I expect from a R.A. Salvatore novel.

Traci I agree completely with your opinion on Sellswords. Artemis and Jarlaxle surprisingly became my favorite characters after reading Servant of the Shard and I was very disappointed how the third book ended. I thought the two characters complemented each other perfectly and I don't really get why Salvatore had to separate them. But the good outweighed the bad for me. I love the short stories that feature these characters too. My reread of upcoming books will be interesting because before Servant I HATED Artemis. And I've only read them once.

message 1: by Alec (new) - added it

Alec Hensley Enjoyed the review will definitely pick it up at the library