Manda's Reviews > Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story

Fat Vampire by Adam Rex

Feb 24, 11

First off, I have to say I ALWAYS have a problem with male leads. I don’t know if it’s because I don’t relate or what, but I always have a hard time with books with male leads. I, however, loved Doug Lee from the beginning. Adam Rex created this socially awkward teen guy that had the ability to pull me into his life immediately. I really enjoyed this book. It took the whole vampire phenomenon going on in literature recently and put a fun, humorous spin on it.

I not only enjoyed the main character, Doug Lee, but his cast of friends were great too. You’ll absolutely adore quirky, dorky Jay and Cat will make you yearn to be just like her. My only gripe about the book and the reason for only 4 screams is Sejal. She is supposed to be Doug’s love interest, but I sometimes felt like she was just there. I would have loved for her to be a more prominent part of the whole story and not just hop in randomly. There was also a few random times when I got lost in the plot and the reasoning on why things were happening, but they didn’t really take away from the greatest of the novel.

All in all, this is a very funny and refreshing spin on the world of vampires and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the genre. It was a breath of fresh air among all the similar serious vampire books out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fat Vampire.