Gabrielle Carolina's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: harper, didn-t-finish
Read from January 09 to 16, 2012

Did not finish; stopped at page 208.

I could not get behind America who is suffering from an affliction called TSTL syndrome (too stupid to live.) Her choices seem robotic and awkward, her dialogue and self-deprication feel desperate and forced. None of the other characters rise to the occasion of acting realistically, either.

Besides that, and a serious lack of world building, The Selection is to The Hunger Games as Carrier of the Mark is to Twilight. That is to say an apparent knock-off. Gavril and Caesar are the same personality to a T.

I tried to finish this one, but not finishing a novel speaks loudly to its readability and I do not knock any reviewer who still presents their opinions without first finishing the book. Not finishing a book says to me, I-Didn't-Like-It. A well written review tells me why.

***

I would also like to say what a huge fan of Kiera's vlogs I am and how surprised I was that this book lacked her exuberant personality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

01/13/2012 page 100
31.0% "Mhmm... so not loving this one quite like I thought."
01/14/2012 page 208
64.0% "America is a little TSTL. : ("

Comments (showing 1-23)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Juhina wow, you're not the first one who didn't like it. Im REALLY looking forward to this one, I'm hoping ill at least like it. Oh how i hated how carrier of the mark was a knock off to twilight, i couldn't finish that one. Hope the same won't happen to the selection.

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) Aw darn. I was really looking forward to this one. :(

Gabrielle Carolina Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) wrote: "Aw darn. I was really looking forward to this one. :("

I know you, so I know you won't like this. : ( Sorry.

Wendy Darling Agree completely.

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) wrote: "Aw darn. I was really looking forward to this one. :("

I know you, so I know you won't like this. : ( Sorry."

All righty. Scratching it off my list.

Gabrielle Carolina Wendy Darling wrote: "Agree completely."

I don't want people to think I wrote this review just because of the "hype" (seems the wrong word) that your review received. We happened to read it at the same time and feel the same way. I'm always honest in my reviews, and I think we are both also very fair.

Wendy Darling If it makes you more comfortable to delete my comments then you're free to do so.

Gabrielle Carolina Wendy Darling wrote: "If it makes you more comfortable to delete my comments then you're free to do so."

Not what I'm saying at all, Wendy, in fact I feel honored to have you backing me up here. I just don't want people to think I'm reiterating what you've said for five minutes of infamy. ; )

I don't think that's why either of us write our reviews, good, bad, or ugly.

Wendy Darling Ah. I didn't get that impression from your review at all...and I wish there was a lot less infamy in connection with mine. It should be interesting to watch more reviews come in.

Gabrielle Carolina Wendy Darling wrote: "Ah. I didn't get that impression from your review at all...and I wish there was a lot less infamy in connection with mine. It should be interesting to watch more reviews come in."

I'm sure some will love it, and some will hate it. Like most books.

BookChic Club Aww, that's sad! I really enjoyed it. Shame you didn't like it as much.

Gabrielle Carolina BookChic wrote: "Aww, that's sad! I really enjoyed it. Shame you didn't like it as much."

Didn't like it as much. : (

Book Sp(l)ot I *was* super hummed not to get a copy of this but after so many mixed reviews (either LOVED it or really did not), I hoping my library gets it. Thanks for the review. :)

Gabrielle Carolina Book Sp(l)ot wrote: "I *was* super hummed not to get a copy of this but after so many mixed reviews (either LOVED it or really did not), I hoping my library gets it. Thanks for the review. :)"

Don't be hummed! ; )

Tracey Nickens I respect your review. Personally I liked it and She didn't knocked it off Hunger Games. She has been writing it for years!!! I don't discouraging people to not give it a try is the right way to go.

I think since it is the first book we might see a lot more development in the country aspect as well. Give her a chance to get her feet wet its her first book deal the other one was self published and it was like chewing wood to get through.

Anastasia Jusr finished it, albeit with some difficulty. First time I read Ms.Kass and am disappointed. Ditto on what you said.

Gabrielle Carolina Slastena wrote: "Jusr finished it, albeit with some difficulty. First time I read Ms.Kass and am disappointed. Ditto on what you said."

The thing is that I adore Kiera, and her personality is so alive, I'm surprised her heroine was not more so.

message 6: by Mara (new) - rated it 1 star

Mara I'm really curious to read it now! I hope that I end up liking it simply because I hate wasting time on a bad book, but your reasons for disliking it sound logical, so my "Reviewer's Gut" tells me that I'm going to end up agreeing with you. :)

Gabrielle Carolina Mara wrote: "I'm really curious to read it now! I hope that I end up liking it simply because I hate wasting time on a bad book, but your reasons for disliking it sound logical, so my "Reviewer's Gut" tells me ..."

I hate when that happens, but sometimes you do "know."

message 4: by Mara (new) - rated it 1 star

Mara Well, don't be surprised if in a few months, I make a comment saying, "Oh my gosh, Gabrielle, you were sooooo right!" ;) I'm learning to trust my Reviewer's Gut more and more.

Gabrielle Carolina Mara wrote: "Well, don't be surprised if in a few months, I make a comment saying, "Oh my gosh, Gabrielle, you were sooooo right!" ;) I'm learning to trust my Reviewer's Gut more and more."

Are you a new reviewer? I remember when I was just starting out I tried EVERYTHING. It was good, I learned to be more open-minded about certain books, like sci-fi dystopians, who knew I would love those? But I have once again, quite firmly may I add, shut the door on all things *creature.*

Natalie I actually like it and the chapter u stopped and didn't read was on my opinion by far the best.

Lucia Isn't it true that America's too witty and smart for her education level? She's too careful with words when she had barely no interaction with other teens her age... she knows how to respond and be flirtatious with the prince... seemed too fake. I can't get over that fact. She's too smart and too witty for her background.