the golden witch.'s Reviews > Queens of All the Earth

Queens of All the Earth by Hannah Sternberg

Mar 04, 11

bookshelves: arc-galley, first-reads-early-reviewers, teenage-shennanigans, 2011, ebook, reviewed
Read from February 24 to March 04, 2011

(crossposted to librarything and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

Apparently this was inspired by Forester’s “Room With A View”. Interesting fact, I guess, because not much else in this book felt very different or original.

I wish I could give this book more stars, but I just can’t. This is a theme that has been done before (the odd couple meeting girl interrupted), and I’m afraid to say that this book doesn’t really break the mold. Don’t get me wrong – the prose is lovely, and flowing, and lyrical – I’ve never been to Spain, but I was completely sucked in to Sternberg’s description of Barcelona. Her way with words is probably the saving grace for this entire novel, because it’s been awhile since I’ve read something using powerful resting (not active) descriptive imagery.

I felt that Miranda as the older sister was incredibly overbearing and just plain annoying throughout most of this book. Yes, I understand you’re worried about your little sister in a foreign country, and you’re worried about her state of mind, but so many of your actions were over the top.

Olivia, on the other hand, was a very fun character (considering she’d just had an emotional meltdown during the opening of the book). I could have read page after page about her adventures in Barcelona alone. However, it had to be a love story, so she fell in love, and I found that she became profoundly ordinary after that.

If you want a good read, check this book out, but don’t get your hopes up. Enjoy Sternberg’s tour of Barcelona and relax.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queens of All the Earth.

03/04/2011