Cheryl's Reviews > Rescue

Rescue by Anita Shreve

Feb 24, 11

Read in February, 2011

I would have rated it just a single star, but I feel the need to reserve that for books that I truly can not stand, not books that I just found dumb and boring.

Rescue is the story of a young paramedic who responds to a car crash. He finds a woman who has managed to run her car off the road and into a tree. A drunk driving incident. Sounds like a catch doesn't she. Webster, the paramedic, peruses her, she ends up getting pregnant and they marry. The marriage unravels and Webster is left to raise their young daughter.

Problems: The woman Shelia does not have a single redeeming quality. She is stubborn, rude, and just plain proof that some people should never have children. I have no problem with having a troubled character, but give her something that makes me feel for her, or identify with her.

Webster is totally boring and flat. There is no depth to him at all. I truly did not care how any of this would turn out. I am starting to wonder if Anita Shreve has ever had any happiness in her life. I'm done with her novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dinah (new)

Dinah Funny I was actually thinking about reading this book because I saw it on my sister's desk. Judging by all of the bad ratings she just isn't a good writer.

Meg-Anne I haven't read Rescue by Anita Shreve. I have it on my lap as I type this. I am debating on wether or not to read it. This book may not be good but some of her other books are like Testimony.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Don't waste your time or energy. It seems that Anita is just pushing those books out regardless of content. Its impossible to care about any of these characters. I have read most of her books up to Altitude. Body Surfing was awful, so, this was a chance for the author to redeem herself,alas, no luck.