Steve 's Reviews > Frostbitten

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi-fantasy, let-s-get-vampy
Read from March 25 to April 20, 2011

Mmmmm...

This book lacks something. It's actually quite well written, and the characters are covered well. But, I kept hoping for some momentum. For things to pick-up and move on. Elena is facing her fears that re-surface from her abusive childhood. Elena is also struggling with the prospect of Alphahood. Her partner, Clay, is supportive, and has a reputation as a deadly foe in the werewolf communities.

There are human deaths in Alaska that are reported to be wolves attacking humans. Elena and Clay suspect these may be werewolf kills. Though the primary reason for Elena and Clay going to Alaska is not directly associated, as such...

So we're in Alaska, and I'm ready for the book to move along. There are bad guys/werewolves trying to take over, first Alaska, then the lower forty-eight. They have eastern european backgrounds, quite unscrupulous, led by the Tesler brothers. And... And... And... I kept expecting things to move on, to start becoming interesting.... *sigh* Someone ask me what this book is about, and I'll go "eeerrmmm... It's about... Eeeerrrmm *sigh*"...

The story lacks progression. Elena's character progresses, but the story doesn't. It's slow, well written and character descriptive, but slow. The last Kelley Armstrong I read 'did' have momentum and story progression. I thought this book would get '3 stars' whilst I was reading it. It's not as bad as many '2 star' reads that were so bad I couldn't finish them. But, I sure as Hell (strange term, who's sure about Hell?) would not want to read this book again. I wonder what the story layout for this book was. Elena's personal struggles with abuse were handled really well, but the so-called story with the Tesler's was a bad t.v. movie. I would give this book '3 stars', but that means I liked it. And I didn't! It was okay, so it get's '2 stars'. Though I wouldn't put it on my 'Not Good--Crap' shelf. I've certainly read far worse. Looking on the bright side *smiling*, I rated this book twice as highly as 'an all time classic' ;) Catcher *cough* ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostbitten.

03/25/2011 page 31
9.0% "Just started this one. Figured I'd alternate reads with reading Midnight Falcon so many times. So far, not as good as the last Kelley Armstrong I read. Time will tell."
03/28/2011 page 72
21.0% "Still not overly sure about this one. Though the story seems to be picking up and the character's slightly evolving. So far, not as good as the last Kelley Armstrong I read."
03/31/2011 page 156
46.0% "Not badly written, but the story is slow and circular. Round, round, baby, right round!"
04/02/2011 page 192
57.0% "Still in Alaska with Elena and her partner Carl, both werewolves, both still chasing their tales. The term 'pro-active' has yet to appear."
04/05/2011 page 240
71.0% "This book lacks something. It's actually quite well written, and the characters are covered well. But, and here is the kicker, I'm not seeing any momentum. Elena is facing her fears and other struggles, like possible Alphahood, Carl is supportive, but it's not going anywhere. The story lacks progression. The last Kelley Armstrong I read 'did' have momentum and story progression. This book doesn't."
04/11/2011 page 282
83.0% "Mmmm... Okay, it's character descriptive, not badly written, though it mainly deals with some of Elena's personal struggles (really quite well) but little more. I feel like I've been stranded in Alaska with them, though I'm stuck in a hotel room listening to the radio playing the same damn song lol. Maybe it will end well ;)"