Ginni Cook's Reviews > The Land of Painted Caves

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Read from February 24 to March 05, 2011

It has been quite some time since I read the last edition in this series, so at first I was excited to see that there would be another volume. But the thought of having to possibly re-read the last five books was really turning me off to the thought of reading this volume.
So when I won a copy, I thought I would give it a whirl.
I received the book in the mail day before yesterday and since I had finished the book I was reading, decided to pick this volume up and read it next. After all, one of the reasons I had the advance copy was to read it and write a review. So here goes . . .
TYPOS! OMG, there are typos EVERYWHERE. I get sidetracked, have to stop, find a pen, circle the typo and page number before I can move on.
So far, the book is all about visiting other cave groups, gatherings or sacred cave tours. I'm hoping there is a story in here somewhere, but so far it reads like someone's vacation journal. " . . .we went here, we saw this, here's what we did".
I keep slogging my way through, hoping that something will kick in for me.
FINALLY! Part 3 came along and at last we have a story, some tension, a crescendo and resolution!
While I did not fall in love with the book, I did really enjoy the last part, so increased my rating from two stars to three.
The book provided a measure of closure for me as far as this series goes. The last part was tense, sweet and touching; much as I remembered from the previous tales.
Regardless of what I say, the book will probably do well with a new generation of readers and the re-release of the previous volumes, but for me, I had said good-bye to Ayla and Jondalar many years ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land of Painted Caves.

02/27/2011 page 173