Anja's Reviews > Ondskapens elev

Ondskapens elev by John  Manning

Feb 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011, written-in-norwegian, american-authors, thriller, published-between-2000-to-2009
Read from March 06 to 18, 2011 , read count: 1

This book; All the Pretty Dead Girls by john Manning, had some good and some bad things going on. On one hand it is very exciting, a real page turner. I had to force myself from it, so that I could pick up my daughter from school. On the other hand it had a lot of faults. A few things I suspect is because of the translation into Norwegian, there was a few sentences that was badly written.

But there were several other things that I had issues with. One of them was that in almost every dialogue, one of the characters starts to think about something in the past, and by the time the person is finished, I have forgotten that there are two people talking, and get confused. The other thing is that people that aren’t really important to the story, get a thorough presentation. Some get a whole chapter, and you think that you have to pay attention to this one, but then it is it more or less. There are also contradictions like with Wally. He is sixty years old, and every morning he takes two hundred push ups and two hundred sit ups, but complains that he often is too stiff to get out of bed? And several other small details here and there.

Even though I got caught up in all these little, annoying things, I did enjoy the story. It wasn’t anything new, I have seen much of this in films or TV series, but it had a twist to it. I’m not sure if I liked it or not, the ending wasn’t great. But as light entertainment I enjoyed it. It has never felt so easy to read almost six hundred pages!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ondskapens elev.

03/16/2011 page 137
03/18/2011 page 430
73.0% "I can hardly put this book down, even though I haven't time to read right now!"
show 2 hidden updates…