Meganm922's Reviews > Fight Club

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from February 09 to 14, 2012

I don't know what I can really say about this book that can even begin to sound half as good as the book itself. I've seen the movie a dozen times, though it's been a few years. Unfortunately, not only do I have a good memory, but I'll never forget the giant twist in the story. Knowing how things turn out, though, did not hinder my enjoyment of this book.

I loved the way it was written. It was choppy, but almost like a train of thought. I suppose if I read it about 3 more times and had about 5 hours to sit here and give it a worthy review, I could tell you what it's really about or at least what it could be about.

I won't, though, because I think it should be read and analyzed individually. If I had to pick my favorite quotes from this book, I would get in trouble, because I'd have to type out the entire novel. Here's a good one from a random page:

"I am helpless.

I am stupid, and all I do is want and need things.

My tiny life. My little shitty job. My Swedish furniture. I never, no, never told anyone this, but before I met Tyler, I was planning to buy a dog and name it 'Entourage.'

This is how bad your life can get.

Kill me."

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something different. It can be dark, twisted, weird, thoughtful, eye opening, confusing... it is simply wonderful.

I think this is one of those books everyone should read and read more than once. I know I will be placing it to the side and picking it up again, hopefully soon.

The characters were absolutely brilliant. It kind of makes you wonder if you really know someone. If you really know yourself. It makes you question the world we live in and what it does to people or what we do to the world.

Anything else I say would only be spoilers.

Just Read It.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fight Club.

Quotes Meganm922 Liked

Chuck Palahniuk
“You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“The things you used to own, now they own you.”
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy
“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“You know how they say you only hurt the ones you love? Well, it works both ways.”

Chuck Palahniuk
“This is your life and its ending one moment at a time.”

02/09/2012 page 16
show 1 hidden update…

Katy Brandes You've convinced me - I'll try it soon. What I remember from the movie is "His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson." That and "I am Tyler's raging bowel duct" (or something like that). Ha!

Meganm922 Katy wrote: "You've convinced me - I'll try it soon. What I remember from the movie is "His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson." That and "I am Tyler's raging bowel duct" (or something like ..."

I hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I'm a fan of Palahniuk's writing, but I suppose it may not be for everyone. It's a bit strange.