Elise Jensen's Reviews > The Witching Hour

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Feb 09, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2001

I actually quite enjoyed this book up until the very end, when I felt like the main female character just had some sort of weird personality seizure and did something that the character as you've come to know her just wouldn't have done. It just made it seem poorly written to me, like Ms. Rice decided in the last 10 pages or so that it was going to have a sequel after all when she had been intending from the beginning for it to be a one-book story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witching Hour.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jami (new) - added it

Jami I'M CURRENTLY READING THIS. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IF I AGRRE WITH YOU!

Christie I agreed. I felt the end was ridiculous. However, knowing there were (and reading the) sequels helped me understand the first book and ending much better.

Elise Jensen Christie wrote: "I agreed. I felt the end was ridiculous. However, knowing there were (and reading the) sequels helped me understand the first book and ending much better."

Yes, reading the followup books probably would have helped. Unfortunately, I was so put off by the end of the first book that I wasn't interested in continuing. Now enough time has passed that I'm just not invested in the story anymore.

Mari *spoiler*
She was pretending.

Timothy couldn't agree more; the generational history and story-telling was good and then it went to shit in the final few pages.

Melissa Cuevas Absolutely agree.

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Agreed! Mari, based on what I have read about the 2nd book, I'm confused by your statement. I was fully expecting Rowen to be the one to kick its butt and end its chokehold on the family!

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I couldn't agree more. I feel so let down after the terrific build up! Plus, even if she was pretending, I was so bummed I have no intention of reading either of the next two. . . I just don't care any more.

Barbara You are absolutely correct!

Danielle I was so upset at the end of this book! I can't believe it got so twisted so suddenly. I have not read the second book and I'm not sure if I want to or not..

Christa I agree! I don't understand why she made Rowan change like that.

Tiffany O'Brien Totally agree! The heroine does an epic faceplant and I completely lost patience with the story, its heroine, AND its writer. This was the first and last Anne Rice novel I've ever read, and I couldnt even stand to finish it!

message 13: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe I believe Anne Rice was trying to portray how powerful of a being Lasher is. Like Michael said at the end, "I still believe in Rowan"... Lasher held a spell over her and clearly uses all human instinct against humans. She did it to show that even the strongest person could fall for this all powerful entity. Just my perception.

message 14: by Kat (new) - added it