Gabrielle's Reviews > Parrotfish

Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger

F_50x66
Mar 12, 11

Read in February, 2011

This book is fabulous. I know a few people who have transgendered, and I'm glad that this book gives them the representation that they deserve. Ms. Wittlinger's telling of Grady's story is beautiful. I personally had a bit of trouble seeing Grady entirely as male because he was first introduced so many of the people he knows still called him Angela. Because of that, Grady was stuck somewhere between male and female in my head. This hasn't really been the case for me regarding the people I actually know, but I really only got to know them once the transition set in.

I really like Grady. He's strong and knows who he is. He's a little bit shy, but loves people and is fabulous all around.

I also like his friend Sebastian. Even though he isn't sure how to react to Grady sometimes, he's a stick-like-glue friend. Actually, I like most of the characters in this book, from Charlie, Grady's little brother, to Kita, who Grady really likes. They're all beautiful and talented and fun to read about and really important to Grady's story.

I enjoyed this book. Different character's relationships with Grady, and how they responded with his change from Angela, were wonderful. I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parrotfish.