Vinaya's Reviews > Wicked Appetite

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

Feb 24, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-liked, guilty-pleasures, urban-fantasy, fluff-fluffy-fluffest
Read from February 24 to 26, 2011

Photobucket
Be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting Stones... or possibly dwawfes!

Wicked Appetite is like an episode of Looney Tunes. It's goofy, it's over-the-top, and it's hilarious! Janet Evanovich finally gets her groove back after a long, torturous 'Plum'met into really boring fiction. I first fell in love with Evanovich way back when she was writing weird, wacky romances for Loveswept. Books like Naughty Neighbor and The Rocky Road to Romance marked her as being a class apart, especially in the paperback romance category, where funny, zany books are not exactly the norm. I mean, what other romance novel have you read that involves large dogs with a passion for burgers, Capitol Hill mysteries involving pigs, cookbooks for dog food and trigger-happy geriatrics? I cannot tell a lie, I liked Stephanie Plum and the Trenton gang too... about thirteen books ago!

Thankfully, Wicked Appetite is the first book in a series about the Seven Deadly Sins, so it can't go beyond, you know, seven books. Lizzy Tucker is a baker who bakes superlative cupcakes at Dazzle bakery and tries to peddle her cookbook to various publishers so she can keep her house from falling down about her ears. Until one day, a dark, creepy looking stranger walks up to the bakery and brands her. He is instantly followed by a tall, blond, hot hunk who claims that the stranger in black is his evil, homicidal cousin, Gerwulf Grimoire. He goes on to reveal that Lizzy is an Unmentionable (no, not a piece of underwear, but a person with enhanced abilities to sense magical objects) whose help he needs to recover the lost Stones containing the Seven deadly sins.

"The way it’s been told to me is that there are seven deadly sins known collectively as SALIGIA. Envy, Pride, Greed, Gluttony, Lusty, Grumpy, and Sneezy.”

“I think some of those were dwarfs,” I said to Diesel

Diesel tells Lizzy that any person who manages to collect all seven stones will have the power to create hell on earth. His mandate is to find the stone of Gluttony before Wulf does and return it to BUM, the governing body (part?!) for Unmentionables.

"My orders are to stop Wulf from acquiring the Stones. Probably, no one cares if he collects the dwarfs.”

“What happens if you only get some of the Stones but not all of the Stones?”

“I don’t know. Maybe you just create hell in Connecticut.”

Along for the ride are a cast of characters straight out of a screwball comedy flick. There's Gloria, whose inept attempts at casting a spell of truth always conclude in disaster for her poor victim, who graduates from speaking gibberish to merely gobbling.

“Maybe it’ll wear off,” Glo said. “Some of these spells are temporary. The book isn’t always specific about length of time.”

“Hear that?” I said to Shirley. “Good news. The spell might wear off.”

Shirley flipped me the finger.

“More good news,” Diesel said. “She knows sign language.”

And then there is a one-eyed ninja cat.

Photobucket

And a monkey that's almost human, and fluent in sign language too.

Photobucket

Also a rival Unmentionable with a fetish for medieval role playing.

Photobucket
No, Sir Hatchelot, you don't look stupid at all!

This book is full of wisecracks and one-liners.

“There you have it,” I said to Mel Mensher. “The big guy here has an unusual energy field.”

“Lady, I’m talking full-blown spectral phenomenon.”

“Well?” I asked Diesel.

“I’m not spectral, but I’ve been told I can be pretty damn phenomenal.”

This is like other urban fantasy books in the same way that Bugs Bunny is like Yogi Bear. If you are expecting Wicked Appetite to have world building, plot development, suspense build-up, etc, you are destined for disappointment. This is not an urban fantasy book, really. Nor is it a paranormal romance. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it sure as hell is fun!

The lack of plot development and build-up sometimes makes the book seem abrupt and uneven. There is also no real point to a lot of the book. There are very many, many scenes that have been inserted simply for the amusement factor, with no regard to whether they further the plot or not. Evanovich's writing style is funny and wiseass, but no-one could call it sophisticated. These are the sort of things that will disturb and possibly severely annoy serious UF readers, but for someone looking for a summer beach read, or some fluff to laugh away the blues, this is the perfect book. And for fans of Janet Evanovich, like me, this book heralds the return of the non-collaborative, non-Plummy, original and gold-plated queen of the funny romance. I'll be looking forward to the next book in this series.

P.S. I just discovered that Diesel and Carl (the monkey) have previously appeared in the Stephanie Plum novels, and that Diesel, in fact, was a sort-of love interest for Stephanie. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Doesn't Stephanie have enough men in her life already? She's really not all that, so why does she have all these men falling at her feet? I haven't read the books with Diesel in them, so I'm going to pretend I never found out that tidbit, and Diesel is a brand-new character!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Appetite.

02/24/2011 "Anyway, the truth is, my bra was so padded I didn’t know I was getting felt up. LOL! I LOVE Janet Evanovich!"
03/30/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 12: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Oh man, I can never read this book because I have friends from college named Diesel and Carl. (not kidding)

Vinaya Really? Maybe you SHOULD read it just for Carl (the monkey). He's awesome and flips everyone the bird on a regular basis. Is your Carl anywhere near as cool? :)

Also, I will never understand why someone would want to name their child after a fossil fuel. Unless it's a nickname. Wouldn't someone named Petrol be totally ridiculous? "Hi, I'm Petrol and I drive a Prius." Double whammy! (obviously I am still sleep deprived and must be banned from commenting) :)

message 10: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Diesel was/is just a nickname. (his name is Matt) There's just no way--those books are ruined for me from the get-go.

message 9: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Nice review, Vinaya. Those quotes actually made me laugh—more like snort, really, but that doesn't sound nearly so dignified.

Poor dwarfs, nobody cares about them. Well, except for people from Connecticut, I guess.

And Flann, why was there a monkey in your class? Was he wearing a space suit?

message 8: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Yeah, I didn't realize it was college for monkeys until I got there. It was an awkward four years...

Vinaya *so tempted to make the obvious retort,but I shall rise above it!*

message 6: by Flannery (new)

Flannery I fit right in!

message 5: by Shalena (new) - added it

Shalena For someone who has never read Evanovich, which book would you recommend someone to start out with??? Looking to broaden my spectrum and it seems just this book you guys are discussing seems very tempting.....

Stephanie I'd recommend starting with "One for the Money," "Motor Mouth," or "Manhunt." I've read about 75% of Janet Evanovich's books and she has a lot that are better than this one.

message 3: by Shalena (new) - added it

Shalena Thanks Stephnie! Will check them out!

Ramona Lee I LOVED Diesel & Lizzie!! ALL of them!
LOVED!!!

message 1: by George (new)

George The humorous quotes and situation descriptions in this review are absolutely typical. If you find them hilarious, you'll really like the book. If, like me, you find them about even with what you could write yourself when your funny switch was on, and if you read quickly, the book may well amount to what another reviewer calls a palate cleanser: About as good as a small dish of lime sherbet.

But if they don't measure up, you'll be better off amusing yourself with the 1-star reviews here.