Erik's Reviews > Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman by Grant Morrison

M_50x66
Feb 24, 11

Read in February, 2011

Although a huge Batman fan, I’m not too keen on most of the monthly Bat-titles that DC churns out. Sure, there are the occasional one-shots and mini-series – usually penned and illustrated by the best in the industry – but the serial ones tend to be either derivative, hastily written and drawn, or – worse – both. This collection of the six-issue series combines the best of the former with a dash of the latter. That is, the time-traveling premise of an amnesiac Bruce Wayne is clever enough, thanks to Morrison, but falls apart at the end as it rushes to resolve itself in the last dozen pages or so. Making it a tad anti-climactic for my readerly tastes.

However, the art duties on the first three parts – Chris Sprouse (of Tom Strong fame), Yanick Paquette (lately of Batman Incorporated, the only monthly Bat-title I follow), and Georges Jeanty (whose painterly style reminds me of the Hampton brothers) – contrast nicely with one another while being aesthetically coherent. However, the art duties falls apart in part four, not just because of one too many artists contributing, but also because they, frankly, suck. Which always breaks down my ability to suspend my disbelief. Would that Morrison ditched the artists on the last two parts and reworked the final sequence narratively-speaking, then this would be up there with some of the best Batman stories. However, it ends being a mediocre one at that.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.