Julie Davis's Reviews > Castle in the Air

Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones

May 19, 11

Read in May, 2011

Lent by a friend, this sequel to Howl's Moving Castle actually can stand well on its own (or so I would imagine) as the entire thing is told from the point of view of Abdullah who knows nothing of any of the events from the previous book (which, to be fair, figure but lightly in this tale).

A daydreamer who lives the ordinary life of a modest carpet seller in the Bazaar, Abdullah longs for a princess to marry and wishes he came from royalty. One day a mysterious wanderer sells Abdullah a flying carpet and, although his daydreams do not exactly come true, an adventure that is the stuff of dreams begins to unfold. This is a delightful story of djinns, a flying carpet, a genie in a bottle, cats and kittens, prophecies, kidnapped princesses and castles in the air.

Another wonderful story from the mind boggling genius of Diana Wynne Jones.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Castle in the Air.

Jeff Miller Yes, it really does stand on it's own to such a point that the ending that connected it with the first book caught me off guard, but happily off guard.

"mind boggling genius" is right.

Julie Davis I was caught off guard in the same way, wary at first and then delighted at how well it was woven in.