Emily's Reviews > Alone

Alone by Lisa Gardner

Mar 10, 11

It's obvious that Gardner has done her research for this exciting thriller. Bobby Dodge is a special forces trooper who is called to a domestic/hostage situation. He ends up killing the husband, but there's a lot more to the story. Is the wife the abusive one? What is wrong (medically) with the child? Also, the wife, Catherine, had been abducted and sexually abused when she was 12. How much does that situation have to do with what happens in the present?
An incredibly realistic suspense novel. No plot holes or characters acting with fuzzy motivations. Beautifully written, despite a tendency toward excessively relating conversations without using dialogue. It was almost impossible to tell who was a 'good guy' and who was a 'bad guy' (with two notable exceptions on either side). Just riveting. I couldn't put it down.
(And, like I said about the research: my husband is in law enforcement, and he gets irritated with a lot of books/movies/tv shows for inaccuracy. This book did not irritate him at all.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone.