Emily's Reviews > Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4

Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend

Mar 08, 11

Adrian Mole, precocious British teenager, self-professed intellectual, and diarist tells us of his trials and tribulations during the last part of his 13th and all of his 14th year. His musings are funny, sweet, and ultimately poignant. In this first edition of the series, we follow him through his decision to become an intellectual, his parents separation and reunification, and his tumultuous first love affair with one Pandora Braithwaite (herself precocious, radical and somewhat fickle.)
Upon my second reading of this book, I was pleased that I was not any less enchanted by Adrian as when I first became acquainted with him during my freshman year of college. Adrian is such a real and believable character that it's hard to believe he sprung from the mind of a middle-aged woman, who herself has never, presumably, been a 13 and 3/4 year old boy. Of course, neither have I. I am also not British, and not well-acquainted with early 1980's Britain and know nothing of British politics. I often find it difficult to read literature from countries I have not visited or studied extensively, but the colloquialisms herein are not as mystifying or unable to be understood from context in this work as others I have read.
I would recommend this book to any American Anglophile or any young adult who would in any way identify with the engaging character of Adrian Mole.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4.