Emily's Reviews > Time Enough For Love

Time Enough For Love by Robert A. Heinlein

Mar 11, 11

Read in March, 2011

What would you do if you could live 4,000 years? Try out every profession at least once? Make enough babies to populate a planet? Travel as far as the galaxy goes? Lazarus Long has done all that and more. He’s about to die peacefully when he’s kidnapped and rejuvenated and coerced to tell his memoirs. I could read stories about Lazarus’ life for months, but unfortunately this book only contains two. The rest is action in the ‘present’ (4272 Gregorian), and at the end, an account of Lazarus’ trip back in time to visit his “first family” (parents, brothers and sisters, grandfather).
This is the first of the last four books Heinlein wrote, and it was clear he was nearing the end of his life, looking mortality straight in the face and writing his fantasy of living forever. Lazarus shares his collected wealth of knowledge and wisdom, although he’d insist he’s got nothing to say of any worth, and much of it is the best advice I’ve ever heard.
Those not familiar with Heinlein might find his morals a little depraved, especially the more sexually straight-laced, although science fiction often contains stories of societies whose taboos are not our own, and would be scandalized by ours. The only complaint I have about the book is how annoying that is that certain parts are (omitted), then return to the story in the middle of the sentence. It’s not smooth, and although the omissions are mostly for brevity’s sake, I felt like I missed something important. I wish I had access to the complete memoirs of Lazarus Long, but unfortunately they won’t be available for a couple thousand years, and I’m pretty sure I’m not going to live that long.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Enough For Love.