Steve Troutman's Reviews > Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris

M_50x66
Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

There's a lot about this book that I love and there's a lot about this book that I hate. The negatives pertain mostly to cherrypicked research and faulty conclusions. By and large though, I think this book does more good than harm for the lay person.

The premise is simple. We are animals. We have instinctual hardwirings that drive us to seek pleasure, avoid pain, and conserve energy. These hardwirings are in place almost entirely for the sake of survival and reproduction. We use our level of happiness or unhappiness to guide us toward these natural inclinations for survival.

For more years than not, this system has worked flawlessly.

Societal and technological advancement, however, has thrown a monkey wrench into the system. This is where the concept of "pleasure traps" enter the picture. Modern living has many elements that can use your happiness-seeking-system to trick you into straying from the intended course of survival and reproduction.

Among other examples, the authors highlight the invention of high fat, high sugar, high processed foods as one such pleasure trap. This type of food deceives our natural drives and abilities to monitor hunger and satiety.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deep (new)

Deep How is it?

message 2: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve Troutman Deep wrote: "How is it?"

Very good... I'd go as far as to say it'll be enlightening for many.