tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Stockhausen - Conversations with the Composer

Stockhausen - Conversations with the Composer by Jonathan Cott

Feb 09, 2008

bookshelves: music
Read in March, 2008

One of many positive results of going thru my library to pick out bks to present via GoodReads as what I've read or am reading is that I get curious about bks that I haven't read & start looking thru them. This is one of them. To Cott's credit, I'd say he knows his shit. I don't necessarily expect much from a Rolling Stone interviewer but Cott was clearly prepared for this interview w/ relevant Indian spirtual quotes & some knowledge about Stockhausen's work. & Stockhausen comes across, at times, as what he's often criticized as being: a bit of a New Age flake. But, then, if you know his music & love it as much as I do, anything that I might dislike as NA flakiness just becomes something educational about Stockhausen. Reading about how he conceived of his orchestral piece "Trans" in a dream is especially noteworthy to me since it's one of my favorite pieces of his.

Ah! I finished this today. Cott does a great job, Stockhausen has plenty to say, there are score excerpts, etc.. Even Stockhausen's egomaniacal dismissal of fellow composers Iannis Xenakis, Gyorgy Ligetti, Krysystof Penderecki, John Cage, & Morton Feldman doesn't stop me from giving this bk a 5.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stockhausen - Conversations with the Composer.

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris  Mason Tent, just fyi, Jonathon Cott was a good poet in the 60's and 70's,New York School type, before he worked for Rolling Stone Magazine. I don't know whether he still writes poetry, but he has written several other books on music as well. Chris

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE That's interesting! I'd be willing to read more by him. He's definitely a notch above yr usual music critic - if there is such a thing (wch there probably isn't). By the by, I have a copy of yr tape & a CD-R of it made & packed to go but I twisted my knee & can't walk or ride a bike - wch means no trips to the PO or anywhere else in the near future.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  Mason Tent, sorry about your accident. Knees can be problematic at our age. My knees sometimes start to give out when I'm up on a ladder and I have to be careful to hold on. No hurry about the CD-R. Thanks for making it! I'll send you the Tinkler DVD soon. Chris